cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TpErrno=Invalid Drive Number

AlChie
Level 4

Greetings!

I have configured VTL on DataDomain and assigned (1 robot,5 drives ,300 tapes) to one of media servers running Solaris 10

Configuration Wizard Succesfully completed and I have managed to create Storage Unit

In Device Monitor all drives and their paths appear as UP

When I try to make a backup it succesfully gets the media.

Then it tries to get the drive to mount it and goes through all 5 drives with this error:

Error bptm (pid=*) error requesting media, TpErrno = Invalid Drive Number

Warning bptm media id Q***** load operation reported an error

After this it gives this error:

All compatible drive paths are down but media is avaliable (2009)

After this when i enter Device Monitor tab i see that paths for particular host went down and if I try to Up them manually it gives an error "Unknown Drive Name".

I also tried to configure physical library's drives and tapes; I recieve same errors in job details and in device monitor all physical drives have the same behavior.

But All Previously configured VTL's and physical tape libraries working fine.

----
Best Regards, AlChie
4 REPLIES 4

Genericus
   VIP   

This is pretty much the same as my environment.

1. Check the OS - on the media server, run /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan -tape ( you should see all your tape drives. )

If you see "missing drives" - you can likely just run tpautoconf -a ( although it will require you to recycle NetBackup on your media server ). If you do not see them, you may need to check that they are added at the OS level.

2. Check NetBackup - run /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -t  ( you should see all your drives ). If you see them in the scan, run tpautoconf -a and it should add them in.

#. Check NetBackup again - /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -report_disc  ( this will show if any drives the media server has issues with )

Helpful hint - If you are duplicating to tape from the VTL, I suggest you use small VTL tapes - I use LTO3 sized to 50G tapes. Having a different HCART type from your pysical drives helps keeps them separate, and smaller tape sizes prevent those  "media in use " status, where your duplications are stuck waiting for a virtual tape.

I had my VTL tapes at 200G and it was horrible.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Can you use robtest to move tapes to drives and back to slot?

Please post output of tests.

Genericus
   VIP   

This is a dumb question, but after you added the drives and storage, did you stop and restart netbackup on the media server?

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Yes, the robtest utility works fine.

I restarted the services on media server.

----
Best Regards, AlChie