Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking hostname in netbackup policy

telecomvn
Level 3

Hi All

'm using netbackup 7.5.0.6,

In the catalog backup, I saw a list of tape backup and polciy name.

Currently, this policy is no longer existed in policy list. We need to chech host name in this backup policy catalog.

Can we do that or any netbackup comment to list host in netbackup policy from catalog?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Something wrong with your picture - it cannot be opened.

Have you tried bpimagelist?
Something like:

bpimagelist -policy <policy_name> -d <start_date> 
(In '-l' output, the client_name is the 2nd field in IMAGE (header) section of the output.)
You can script it (depending on master server output) to only display IMAGE section and only display field 2.
See http://www.veritas.com/docs/000032604

An easy way to trace policy contents is by regularly exporting policy config.
(See my post dated 1 Oct.)

Another way is by restoring the policy from Catalog backup, but this will depend on retention of Catalog policies.
Since you have a backup date of the client, you can browse the Catalog backup for this day, find this policy and restore it.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

The NetBackup Policies and the Catalog are separate. The image header is however held in the NBDB database and contains info on the policy that was used for the backup

If you want to find a client that was backed up with a specific policy, even if that policy no longer exists, you can run:

bpclimagelist -client <clientname>

Backed Up         Expires       Files      KB     C Sched Type      Policy
----------------  ---------- -------- ----------- - --------------- ------------
09/23/2015 11:50  10/07/2015        5          32 N Full Backup    finance-backups

Marianne
Level 6

In the catalog backup, I saw a list of tape backup and polciy name.

Please show us what you see?

I suspect that this client still has unexpired backups in image catalog and this is probably what you saw.

You can list all policies for a client with this command:

bppllist -byclient <client> 

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Marianne, I  think the OP wants a list of the client backups with a list of policies responsible based on their comment "Currently, this policy is no longer existed in policy list. "

Genericus
   VIP   

I think Marianne is on the right track, since both clients and policies can have remnants due to unexpired backups.

You can check the images directory for all the client names and do a simple for / next loop, like

For i in `ls -1 images/*`

do

echo $i

bpplist -byclient $i

done

I know that if the clients are not in a policy they do not show in restore client drop down list, I actually created a policy called "deleted clients" specifically to move clients that I delete so I can do restores from them.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

telecomvn
Level 3

Hi Manarine

I mean, in catalog, I tracked from last year and saw some policies that created

I tried to open current policy and didn't find any.

I need to know what is in this policy if it hasn't existed in policy list

Could you please let me know if it's not clear

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6

I need to know what is in this policy if it hasn't existed in policy list

We cannot tell you if the policy no longer exists.

Maybe a good idea to save output of policy config on a regular basis:
bppllist -allpolicies -U > <path>\policy<date>.txt

Or you can use BAR GUI, select CatalogBackup as policy type, select a date range (you need to have some sort of idea of when the policy existed), browse netbackup\db\class folder for the policy and restore to original or alternate path.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Do you mean that you want to find out which clients once existed in a backup policy that no longer exists?  If so, then I'm sorry to say there there is no command or native report for that.

Your choices are:

1) Use some of the tips/hints already given in this thread to script something to identify all client names which still have backups and pick out the policy names which no longer exist.

2) Use bplist comman to list the folder structures under /db/class from your oldest catalog backup and again script this to compare to the current policy list - to identify policies which no longer exist - and then perhaps restore those 'class' folder(s) to be able to view the 'client' names inside those policies which no longer exist - but if you've done a version upgrade since those oldest catalog backups - then you may cause a serious issue if you restore a 'class' folder (i.e. a backup policy) across different NetBackup versions.

3) If you have OpsCenter, and it was previously configured to retain job history for a very long time, then you may be able to create a custom report which lists clients no longer in policies, and/or clients in policies for policies that no longer exist, and the date of the last (most recent) backup of these since deleted/removed clients.

HTH.

P.S. Some of us run daily capture scripts, i.e. every day record a list of all policies, and save those to a date stamped file.  Then in future months/years we can see (using diff and/or search) when clients were removed.

sdo

Also see this post re tracking/auditing of backup policy changes:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/audit-who-changed-what-policies-and-when

telecomvn
Level 3

Hi

Sorry for waiting solong

I tried with your way but cannot.

Let me explain more in this picture below,I have backup policy name Back_restore Anuual, this policy no longer in list. But it has still existed in catalog

I need to find which client in this policy

1.jpg

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6

Something wrong with your picture - it cannot be opened.

Have you tried bpimagelist?
Something like:

bpimagelist -policy <policy_name> -d <start_date> 
(In '-l' output, the client_name is the 2nd field in IMAGE (header) section of the output.)
You can script it (depending on master server output) to only display IMAGE section and only display field 2.
See http://www.veritas.com/docs/000032604

An easy way to trace policy contents is by regularly exporting policy config.
(See my post dated 1 Oct.)

Another way is by restoring the policy from Catalog backup, but this will depend on retention of Catalog policies.
Since you have a backup date of the client, you can browse the Catalog backup for this day, find this policy and restore it.

sdo

You haven't specified whether your NetBackup environment is Unix or Windows based, so I've assumed Unix, so let me know if you're on Windows and we'll give you some similar, but different, commands:

bpimagelist -d 01/01/1970 00:00:00 -policy Backup_Restore_Annual | grep "^IMAGE" | awk '{print $2}' | sort -u

...but if you have a big catalog, this might take a few minutes to run.

telecomvn
Level 3

Hi Sdo

I'm on windows

Thanks

telecomvn
Level 3

Hi All

Sorry because disturb all. I found it. Many thanks Marrine and Sdo support me

Great solution

Thanks