cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transaction Logs not clearing

Margaret_C
Level 1

We are using NetBackup 7.0 and Domino 8.5.1 with DAOS and Transaction logging enabled.  Based on running a backup, we need to know what policy will be need to backup up the data directory to include all mail databases, backup up DAOS directory, along with the transaction logs.  Right now we have a backup job in place, but the transaction logs are not clearing as designed.  We could not find anything concrete in Symantec's documentation on Lotus Notes backups.  Any advice or real time production experience would be beneficial.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I found the following in the NBU for Domino Admin Guide:

"Following either a successful full backup or differential incremental backup,
archive-style transaction log extents are marked as ready to be recycled. The
database agent does not delete the successfully backed up transaction log extents.
The Domino server manages when a transaction log extent is recycled."

From what I read here, NBU (database agent) is not resposible for clearing logs. It merely notifies the Domino server that the backup was successful. It is then the resposibility of the Domino server to clear the logs.

Check bpbkar log on Notes server for evidence of "transaction log extents ... marked as ready to be recycled"

The manual also mentions 3 styles of logging:

circular, linear, or archive.

The NBU agent will only mark archive-style logs to be recycled.

(Hope this helps - I have very limited personal experience with Notes backups...)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I found the following in the NBU for Domino Admin Guide:

"Following either a successful full backup or differential incremental backup,
archive-style transaction log extents are marked as ready to be recycled. The
database agent does not delete the successfully backed up transaction log extents.
The Domino server manages when a transaction log extent is recycled."

From what I read here, NBU (database agent) is not resposible for clearing logs. It merely notifies the Domino server that the backup was successful. It is then the resposibility of the Domino server to clear the logs.

Check bpbkar log on Notes server for evidence of "transaction log extents ... marked as ready to be recycled"

The manual also mentions 3 styles of logging:

circular, linear, or archive.

The NBU agent will only mark archive-style logs to be recycled.

(Hope this helps - I have very limited personal experience with Notes backups...)