Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfert Backup Server from MSDP1 to other MSDP2

Dackey
Level 4

Hello,

The infrastructure :

Appliance 5230 v7.7.3 with the Main MSDP.

Windows 2012 Master Server, v8.1.2

Windows 2016 Media Server, v8.1.2 With a new MSDP1.

The Stockage on the applince is Full, so we have done an other MSDP2 on a new Media Server with a Lun.

Now i want to transfert the Server Backup from the Appliance to the MSDP2, so i go to the Master Server on the catalog, select Duplicate , Select the backup and do Duplicate, after i select the copy One and select the MSDP2.

The transfert or duplication is running and end with success, iwas thinking after this operation there will be have more free space on the MSDP1, BUT NO !

Have you an idea or how i must do to do that ?

Thx for help ;)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

some points:

1) your screen shot shows the step/stage to request duplication - instead you need to use the search function inside the Catalog area to browse for each copy number - *BUT* in the correct storage unit / disk pool.

2) a copy number is *not* necessarily indicative of actual storage unit location

3) you could use bpexpdate - but *WARNING* - be careful... if you do not specify a copy number on the bpexpdate command then all copies will be expired!!

all of the above means that you have to double check and be sure before you expire anything - be careful !   do not assume that you understand - instead, assume that you do not understand and double check, triple check - this is how I approach any expirations - I make very very sure that I have my multiple copies and that I'm expiring the correct copy number.

Here's maybe a suggestion - use this at your own risk - assume that I am wrong - be sure that you are correct !

...anyway, just some ideas below...

1) Go to Catalog, select PureDisk, select the disk pool for MSDP2, select "Copy 2", select the date range, hit "Search Now"... and scroll and check the output... is everything you expect listed ?

2) Now change the disk pool to MSDP1 and select "Copy 1" and search again... and double check is everything listed.

3) if you are sure that eveything is listed for MSDP1 for copy 1, then you should be able to now select in the lower output screen and right click and expire and this should expire only copy 1 on MSDP1.

4) change back to MSDP2, and Copy 2, and search again - is eveything listed again ?

But take all of this with a pinch of salt... so why not take a small dummy test backup to MSDP1, duplicate it to MSDP2, and then test the process for yourself again using just that one dummy test backup... and prove that the dummy test backup does still exist.

Be careful!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

You are half way there. 

So far you have copied (duplicated the backup) from the source to the new target.
Now you need to delete (expire) the backup image from the original source target. 

Simplest way is to again use the catalog to find the original backup. Also before you do this make sure there is also a second copy on the target MSDP (notice the copy number drop down over on the right hand side). Anyway, go back to the original copy (it should be copy 1, or primary copy), right click on the backup image and select "Expire...", you are then asked to confirm that if you want to go ahead as this action will delete the backup image. Once done, you have now deleted the backup. 

Note that deleting a single image from the MSDP storage will not necessarily reduce the overall space in the pool by the size of the backup (due to the blocks being referenced by other backups). 

BE CAREFUL with what you expire - make sure you either don't need the backup anymore, or have a copy elsewhere.

Yes it's what i thinking, but after done a duplicate, the backup no more exist on the MSDP1, just on the MSDP2.

DuplicatePrimaryCopy.png

So i can't use the bpexpdate for expire them...

As you see, i select the case "Copy1", the STU is not the catalog of course it's the MSDP2.

sdo

some points:

1) your screen shot shows the step/stage to request duplication - instead you need to use the search function inside the Catalog area to browse for each copy number - *BUT* in the correct storage unit / disk pool.

2) a copy number is *not* necessarily indicative of actual storage unit location

3) you could use bpexpdate - but *WARNING* - be careful... if you do not specify a copy number on the bpexpdate command then all copies will be expired!!

all of the above means that you have to double check and be sure before you expire anything - be careful !   do not assume that you understand - instead, assume that you do not understand and double check, triple check - this is how I approach any expirations - I make very very sure that I have my multiple copies and that I'm expiring the correct copy number.

Here's maybe a suggestion - use this at your own risk - assume that I am wrong - be sure that you are correct !

...anyway, just some ideas below...

1) Go to Catalog, select PureDisk, select the disk pool for MSDP2, select "Copy 2", select the date range, hit "Search Now"... and scroll and check the output... is everything you expect listed ?

2) Now change the disk pool to MSDP1 and select "Copy 1" and search again... and double check is everything listed.

3) if you are sure that eveything is listed for MSDP1 for copy 1, then you should be able to now select in the lower output screen and right click and expire and this should expire only copy 1 on MSDP1.

4) change back to MSDP2, and Copy 2, and search again - is eveything listed again ?

But take all of this with a pinch of salt... so why not take a small dummy test backup to MSDP1, duplicate it to MSDP2, and then test the process for yourself again using just that one dummy test backup... and prove that the dummy test backup does still exist.

Be careful!

Thx Davidmoline and Sdo for answer to me ^^, it's kind of you.

Why i'haven't think about this before !

Yes it's tricky and dangerous but so easy (so more dangerous too lol).

I do what you say, try with one backup and use excel to check !

Just an other question, Primary Copy and Copy 1 is the same ?

After a duplication from MSDP1 to MSDP2 of one backup (backup1):

When i look the backup on the Primary copy on the MSDP1, there nothing !

When i look the backup on the Primary copy on the MSDP2, there the backup1, so Primary Copy and Copy1 is absolutly different !?

Am i wrong ?

sdo

Any copy number can be the primary copy.  Only one copy can be the primary copy.  If only one copy exists (any copy number) then that copy is by definition the primary copy.  Primary copy just means the copy that any restore will default to attempt to access.

Imagine a backup job occurs via SLP... the first stage, the backup stage, is to Adv.Disk storage unit and is copy 1 and because only one copy exists, it becomes the primary copy... then second stage, SLP duplication stage, occurs and copies the backup to MSDP, and this becomes copy 2 but the SLP has expire after copy, and so copy 1 expires and so now copy 2 becomes the primary... and then a third stage of SLP kicks in and duplicates from MSDP to tape, but watch... the new copy on tape is not necessarily copy 3, it could become copy 1... because it is totally up to NetBackup to decide what the next (or free unused) copy number to use is.

I don't have access to NetBackup source code, so I cannot say exactly how NetBackup selects a copy number, all I know is that the copy number of any copy is totally arbitrary and that you, I, we must never assume any given copy number is on any given storage unit - and of course any copy number can be the primary copy.

HTH.

So in my case, i must found in wich copy the backup exist too, and i will have the number of the primary copy (for the moment) and the number of the other copy.

Ok ;)

Thx  !

sdo

Yes - I guess, if I understand your situation correctly.

There are several places where the primary copy can be set / changed.  For example, when you manually duplicate, you can make the new copy the primary copy, or the original copy remains marked as the primary copy.  In SLP too, you can define whether any given new copy becomes the primary copy.  Or you can change it from the command line.  But remember, if all other copies expire, and only one copy remains, then that copy, whatever copy number that copy is, becomes marked as the primary copy.