cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tricking netbackup so it doesn't do a full for the first backup

C_Moisan
Level 4

Hey everyone. I had to create a new policy to have daily backups made for a really huge server since the full was taking so long the daily schedule wouldn't start. Is there any way to trick Netbackup so it doesn't do a full backup since it's the first of the new policy? I tried to have it backup c:\temp only but it still did a full anyway...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
This will not work. Backups are checked per Client and per policy. Incrementals are based on last Full backup for this client for this policy and Backup Selection combination. A change in any of these parameters will result in a Full backup. Please believe us. We are talking from experience.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

No - if you don't have a full backup there is no way you can do a incremental.

Remember a incremental backup are files changed since the last full. If no full, you have no reference for the incremental backup.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

NO.. there is no way... 

Netbackup check if the files are being backup already using the same policy or not, if they are not it will be the full backups.. even the schedule type is incremental backups.

if it does not have any backups images for the specific policy the next job will be the Full backups.

you may need to plan to split the backups into mulitple policies.. may be depends on the size of the File systems or Directories and let the Full backup run and then daily incr backups..

C_Moisan
Level 4

I split the backups into 2 policies. I thought having a different backup selection, one that was really quick to take, would do the trick... So, basically, even if I change the backup selection to something really small, it doesn't matter at all? When I look at the activity log, there WAS an image created with my C:\temp job. It was a full, of C:\temp... Not sure what is the criteria for Netbackup to determine if there is a need for a full, then.

Marianne
Level 6
This will not work. Backups are checked per Client and per policy. Incrementals are based on last Full backup for this client for this policy and Backup Selection combination. A change in any of these parameters will result in a Full backup. Please believe us. We are talking from experience.

RiaanBadenhorst

Think about it logically? An incremental or differentail is backup that backs up only changes since the previous full or another incremental. If there is no full there is nothing to referene against. Its like me asking you to tell me what is the answer of +1.

areznik
Level 5

Well, in the case of Windows Archive Bit backups, I dont see why it couldnt be done. Doesnt really matter who last set them or cleared them, just backup anything with an archive bit. Honestly thats about the only advantage I can think of for Archive bits over modified date.