cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshoot Drive Down issue

Velmabii
Level 4

Hi All,

I'm new here in Netbackup. Kindly help me out to fix this issue.

We are using Netbackup 7.5, in our environment both the master and media server are the same, we have 4 drives out of which 2 drives goes down frequently.

We had even tried to start up the drive manually but again its going down.

Kindly help me out in this issue, with the basic troubleshooting too..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Velmabii
Level 4

Dear Marianne & All,

Thanks for your help.

After rebooting the TL. The communication between the robot and the backup server worked, once the communication happened, I tried cleaning the drives in IBM TL itself (not in symantec). All drive cleaning is done, now the drive is up and running fine.

Once again thanks all..

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
Have you checked the OS system logs to see if there are any hardware errors?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Add VERBOSE entry to vm.conf (in ...Veritas\Volmgr ) on all media servers and restart NBU Device Manager service. Next time drives go Down look in Event Viewer Application log for the reason. Also check System log for hardware errors. For further troubleshooting, create bptm log folder on the media server(s) under Netbackup\logs. For now locate the errors file under Netbackup\db\media, copy it to errors.txt and upload here as File attachment.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Besides the already given advice check the hardware logs, like drive logs, robot log, SAN switch log for FC connected drives/robot.

A question does those two drive have a thing in common connection wise ? That would probably be a good place to start the troubleshooting.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Velmabii
Level 4

Hi All, As my TL admin account has been locked, I'm not able to take the hardware log. When I tried to restore the default password it keep on showing busy.

Velmabii
Level 4

There is no h/w event log in server end

Velmabii
Level 4

While attempiting to clean drive, I'm getting "daemon failed accepting connection (59)"

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

1) Do the drives show as ok in Windows Device Manager?

2) Are all four tape drives in the one tape library?

3) Or do you have multiple tape libraries?

4) If multiple tape libraries, which tape drives in which tape libraries keep going down?

5) Are all four tape drives the same model?

6) Are all tape drives using the same connectivity (i.e. all FC, or all SAS, or all SCSI) ?

7) What does this query command show:

> tpautoconf -report_disc

8) What does this query command show:

> scan

Marianne
Level 6

Do you have Cleaning cartridges in the NONE pool?   

See  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64769  

Have you added VERBOSE entry to vm.conf (followed by Device Manager Server restart) on NBU media server(s)?

Velmabii
Level 4

Hi Marinne

Sry if its a silly question, when i checked the path which you had given, VM.conf notepad i see my server name, do i need to add VERBOSE in that??

And sorry again as i dont have any idea about what verbose means?

Velmabii
Level 4

I had manualy moved the cleaning cartridge in none pool and checked, it showed the same error

Marianne
Level 6

Yes.
Add VERBOSE on a new line in vm.conf.

This means that NBU will log device-related messages to Event Viewer Application and System log after restarting Device Manager Service with this entry in vm.conf.

sdo

In your vm.conf file - add another line containing the one word:    VERBOSE

i.e. do not add the text VERBOSE to any other line.

Velmabii
Level 4

Hi SDO,

All drives are in one library, the drives shows in device manager.

TS3200, product - 3573-TL.

and the command wcich you had given, i need to run in bkpserver end right??

sdo

Yes - run on the backup server which is the robot control host.  If you only have one backup server, then run the commands on that one backup server.  If you have two or more backup servers, and you are unable to determine which backup server is the robot control host, then run the commands on all backup servers.

> "C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin\\tpautoconf" -report_disc

> "C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin\scan"

(...the above assumes that NetBackup is installed on the C: drive.   You may need to change C: to another drive letter)

Velmabii
Level 4

SDO thanks, when I added the VERBOSE entry in vm.conf notepad and tried to start the drive, I'm getting "Error connecting to oprd on bkp serve name: oprd returned abnormal status (96)

Marianne
Level 6

What is the Media type of the cleaning tape?

It needs to be the same density as the tape drive and type 'cleaning'.

So, if your tape drive and backup tapes are hcart, the cleaning tape must be HC_CLN (1/2 inch cleaning tape) 
If your devices are hcart2, the cleaning tape must be HC2_CLN (1/2 inch cleaning tape 2).
hcart3 devices will need HC3_CLN cleaning tapes (1/2 inch cleaning tape 3).

See:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH9109 
How to install a cleaning tape to be used by NetBackup. 

sdo

Are you running the Admin Console GUI program using "Run As Administrator" ?

Marianne
Level 6

How are you trying to "start the drive" ? 

You need to restart NetBackup Device Manager Service.

Velmabii
Level 4

SDO & Marianne,

Yes I'm running as administrator, and I had restarted the Netbackup device Manager Service

Right click on the drive in symantec GUI, up drive