cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshoot

Roja
Level 2

Hi All,

I am new to here and also i am new to netbacup and backupexec but in our environment we are facing lotsof trabulshooting issues can any one please guid me to trabulshoot netbackup issues and backupexec issues.

we have 500 masterservers,

around 2000 media servers and 7000clients

So daily we are geting issue........ please guid me .smiley

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Without details of the NBU issues you have, you are asking an impossible question.

If you are new to NBU you need to get on a course, and bcome familiar with at least basic config, options and features - trying to troubleshoot something you have no experience of, especially something complex like NBU is virtually impossible.

Once you have a little experience, look in the troubleshooting guide for steps on how to troubleshoot issues.

Unfortunately, without further details from yourself its difficult to give what might be classed as a reasonable answer.

One of the most important aspects of t/shooting is being able to set up the logs.  Not necessary to understaand them (others cn do that for you) but you have to be able to produce them.  See the link in my signiture to get started.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Without details of the NBU issues you have, you are asking an impossible question.

If you are new to NBU you need to get on a course, and bcome familiar with at least basic config, options and features - trying to troubleshoot something you have no experience of, especially something complex like NBU is virtually impossible.

Once you have a little experience, look in the troubleshooting guide for steps on how to troubleshoot issues.

Unfortunately, without further details from yourself its difficult to give what might be classed as a reasonable answer.

One of the most important aspects of t/shooting is being able to set up the logs.  Not necessary to understaand them (others cn do that for you) but you have to be able to produce them.  See the link in my signiture to get started.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Actually, start with this :

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/quick-guide-setting-logs-netbackup

The TN in my signiture is a bit to detailed to start with.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There are no 'blanket troubleshooting' steps.

You tackle each error individually.
Find the cause, fix it, then tackle the next one.
The Troubleshooting button in Activity Monitor is your starting point.
It gives same info as 'bperror -S <status-code> -r' and the NetBackup Status Codes Reference Guide 

Use Google.
Start search as follows, which will search this forum as well as Symantec Knowledge base:
site:symantec.com netbackup error message

Important to determine where the failure happened - Master, Media, Client?
In order to do so, you need to understand the NBU process flow diagram.
You can find a shortened version here: 
NetBackup 7.x Process Flow 
Detailed version with explanation in Appendix A of NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide  
Please take your time and read through other chapters in this guide.
When you understand which processes run where, you will know which legacy log folders to create where. (Please do not run mklogdir.bat just because you don't know which log belongs where.)
Oh, the Troubleshooting Guide explains the difference between legacy and unified logs.

To read legacy logs, this is how I do it: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-use-logs#comment-6505511

Excellent reading matter in this post by our own Symantec expert, mph999: 
NetBackup Basics and how to make YOUR life easier ...

My blog: Handy NetBackup links 

Useful sessions at Vision this year:

NetBackup 7.6 Best Practices: Optimizing Performance 

NetBackup 7.6 Best Practices: Improving Recovery Times 

NetBackup 7.6 Best Practices: Protecting Databases and Applications 

Roja
Level 2

thanks

Roja
Level 2

Hi Thanks for your responce

can u please suggest a solutinfo error code :99 ,13 and 24

Roja
Level 2

Hi all

Thanks for your responce.

can any one  please suggest a solutinfo error code :99 ,13,24 and 191,84

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You need to follow the advice given and investigate each separately.  It is not possible to give a solution just by the error code, as there are 100's of possible causes.

99 - All that says is an NMP backup failed.  It is pretty useless as it gives no indication why

84 - Write error, many possible causes and they can differ depending on if the media is disk/ tape/ MSDP etc 

191 - No images processed, again, generic so useless on it's own

13 - File/ socket read failed, again generic

24 - Socket write failed, again many possible causes

Staatus 24s are almost never cased by NBU, so given you have 24, 13, and 84 I suspect you have network problems, not NetBackup problems, but, impossible to say.

You need to take each error code and follow the advice given in Mariannes post.

Activity monitor details for the failed jobs is also a good place to start, as this may show other error codes - for example status 99, the ob will actually fail somewhere with a different error code, might be shown in Activity Monitor details, or in the logs for the job.  Hence the need to look in th t/shooting guide to see what the process flow is for that type of job and then set the correct logs.

As a minimum, you need to copy/ paste the Activity Monitor details up here, giving and example from each job that fails -  these MUST go into separate posts on this forum, not all in one - it will be too confusing.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no quick solution for any of these.

See my post below - tackle one at a time....

Start a new discussion for each of these if none of the steps that I have suggested (including Google) has helped.

When you post, please tell us what exactly you have tried already. (See mph's post that I have linked.)

Sulivan77
Level 4

With that many masters and media servers I'd invest in the training classes and dedicated support.  

Sully

susindran_surul
Level 6

Why your having 500 master & 2000 media to manage just 7000 client??