cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truncating Exchange 2010 Logs

Stanleyj
Level 6

About a week ago i finally commited to using netbackup as our primary solution for exchange 2010.  Since the change i have noticed that it seems the logs are not truncating like they should.  Im not really sure if have configured the policy correctly so i would like to post it to possibly get some feed back.  Thanks.

• Policy Typ: MS-Exchange Server
  • Snapshot Client: (perform snapshot backups:checked)
  • Options: Method(vss)
  • Parameters:provider type:0, Snapshot attibute:0, Maximum Snapshots:1
  • Exchange Attributes: Passive copy and if not available active
  • Preferred server list:NONE

Schedule:

• Sundays: Full
  • Mon - Sat: Differential Incremental

Clients:

• Dag name

Backup Selections:

• Microsoft Exchange database Availablity Groups:\

Should some options be checked under the properties of the clients machines? 

I noticed some options like "Truncate Exhagne Log files after successful instant recovery backup" but im not sure if im doing instant recovery. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Your settings sound fine - as as you say these are the details from the Admin Guide:

Full Backup

This schedule type backs up the Exchange Server database and associated transaction
logs. Exchange truncates all committed transaction logs after NetBackup notifies it that
the backup succeeded. In replicated environments, the truncation is scheduled and does
not occur immediately.

Differential Backup

Includes the changes since the last full or differential incremental backup. After NetBackup
notifies it that the backup succeeded, Exchange truncates all committed transaction logs.
The truncation of the transaction logs sets the context for the next backup.

So to clarify:

The logs should get truncated but this is scheduled by Exchange so may not happen immediately.

If there are any issues with your DAG and log replications are not fully up to date they they cannot be truncated - check your event logs on the Exchange Server for ESE and other messages at the time of the backup completion to give you an indication of what is happening and any issues being experienced

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Your settings sound fine - as as you say these are the details from the Admin Guide:

Full Backup

This schedule type backs up the Exchange Server database and associated transaction
logs. Exchange truncates all committed transaction logs after NetBackup notifies it that
the backup succeeded. In replicated environments, the truncation is scheduled and does
not occur immediately.

Differential Backup

Includes the changes since the last full or differential incremental backup. After NetBackup
notifies it that the backup succeeded, Exchange truncates all committed transaction logs.
The truncation of the transaction logs sets the context for the next backup.

So to clarify:

The logs should get truncated but this is scheduled by Exchange so may not happen immediately.

If there are any issues with your DAG and log replications are not fully up to date they they cannot be truncated - check your event logs on the Exchange Server for ESE and other messages at the time of the backup completion to give you an indication of what is happening and any issues being experienced

Hope this helps

Stanleyj
Level 6

Upon further inspection i think the logs are being truncated but its as you stated from the admin guide it can happen at different times.

I was expecting to see the logs being removed around the same time the backup finishes and i think thats were i was going wrong.  Thanks for the info.