Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying a backup on a new standalone drive on a resurrected media server

contra04
Level 5

NetBackup version 7.0 Windows Server 2003 Master and Media w/ Library
NetBackup version 7.0 Windows Server 2003 Media with standalone Ultrium3

15/11/2011 17:12:41 - awaiting resource Potter_LTO A pending request has been generated for this resource request.
Operator action may be required. Pending Action: No action.,
Media ID: A00003, Barcode: --------, Density: hcart3, Access Mode: Write,
Action Drive Name: N/A, Action Media Server: N/A, Robot Number: N/A, Robot Type: NONE,
Volume Group: MeritArchives, Action Acs: N/A, Action Lsm: N/A

I put it in a new Volume Group, and it is active.  I cannot seem to get it out of pending, Ive look at previous posts on this and it seems a few people got awfully stuck !! I tried some good suggestions, but am not able to get very far.

I have ticked all the boxes in "- Check all of the options : ANSI, TAR, DBR, RS-MTF1, CPIO, AOS/VS, MTF, BE-MTF1" and still have no luck here.

any Ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Go to device monitor in the admin console

The pending request will be at the bottom of the screen

As long as you are sure the right tape is in the drive then drag the request onto the stand alone tape drive in the window above

Once labelled NetBackup should be able to read the header and so will know what tape is in thetape drive but first time around, or until that tapes are labelled you need to do this

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Go to device monitor in the admin console

The pending request will be at the bottom of the screen

As long as you are sure the right tape is in the drive then drag the request onto the stand alone tape drive in the window above

Once labelled NetBackup should be able to read the header and so will know what tape is in thetape drive but first time around, or until that tapes are labelled you need to do this

Hope this helps

contra04
Level 5

Thanks Mark, I did not know this - I actually tried another tape, and it is ripping along now at 23000KB a second.  Excellent.

Shame the normal PX502 is so much slower.

FOr the Quantum 502 robot - we have 6 jobs going to 2 drives/tapes averaging 1364KB a sec each, should we change the max jobs / multiplexing to get better throughput on the 502?

job 1 - 2514 KB/sec

job 2 - 1196 KB/sec

job 3 - 1193 KB/sec

job 4 - 1027 KB/sec

job 5 - 1071 KB/sec

job 6 - 1185  KB/sec

should this not add to about 46000KB (two drives@23000KB) rather than 8000?

contra04
Level 5

should I disable compression on some of the Jobs - as isn't this handled in hardware?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your performance issues is not related to this thread, right?

Compression will slow down backups. Backup speed is limited to the slowest component in the data path.

contra04
Level 5

Yes sorry Marianne, I know I am breaking the conventions by switching question halfway.  The original issue was solved, and I was curious about how slow this was.  Thank you for your answer, I will see how much quicker it goes (and if it increases in size from 600gb)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

contra - if you are happy with my solution please mark it to close the thread - if you still have performance issue open a new one so that we can look into it

Glad to have helped