Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to assign a NB media server to a UNC path

Bar_JB
Level 3

**** Moved to new discussion from Netbackup Query ****

Hi Marianne,

Many thanks for your input so far.

I get an error trying to assign a NB media server to a UNC path to a CIFS share on DD670.

Master Server = NetBackup 7.6.0.2   Windows 2008 R2 SP1

Media servers = NetBackup 7.6.0.2   Windows 2008 R2 SP1

I have read articles on the web regarding the NB services that need domain credentials & these were already applied.

The only media server that can access the storage units successfully, is due for decommission next week (that server is also the robotic control server).

Hoping you can help.

7 REPLIES 7

Bar_JB
Level 3

I am trying to get a media server to access a CIFS share (via UNC path) on a DD670 in the “Storage” window of the NB admin console which fails with error 228.

The media server cannot even browse to the Data Domain appliance, which seems to be the problem. See attachment.

Bar_JB
Level 3

This is more like the problem I have… only this TN had already been actioned…

So looking for further assistance of knowing where to look to cure the issue…

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have moved this post to a new discussion as this is different from the previous post about the robot control host.

In all honesty - the last time that I have seen anyone using DD as BasicDisk via CIFS share was more than 6 years ago.

At the time, the DD reseller provided a configuration pdf.

Nicolai has posted a link over here: https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/error-while-creating-netbackup-datadomain-storage-unit-cifs... , but that document has been removed in the meantime.

CIFS share on DD requires additional configuration - not merely credentials for NBU services. If memory serves me right, host permission needs to be granted on the DD as well.

All I can suggest is to ask EMC or search EMC community forums.

Bar_JB
Level 3

I have created a new storage unit pointing to a new folder path on the DD appliance.

But still I get the error 228 when trying to access it via 4 of my 5 media servers.

areznik
Level 5

If you cant browse the share from the media server with Windows Explorer, your problem is not with Netbackup. Creating new STUs will not help. You most likely have permissions issue on the DD share, make sure the account that is accessing it has been granted the correct rights from the DD side. 

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Know that on some appliances you as need to create a share per accessing machine, which would fit with only 1 working media server. You will have to check the DD documentation to see if that case with DD.

on a windows server with a share with access problem I would look in the secuiry log, assume DD has something similar.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Bar_JB
Level 3

Hi all,

Many thanks for your input on this but I have managed to fix this issue.  It was a windows update that increased security for SMB access.

I am now having to make a reg change on all NB servers.