Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to backup NetApp

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified
Hi,

I am trying to set up a new system to backup a NetApp and having problems adding my robot and LTO3 drive using the "Configure Storage Devices" wizard.

Here is my setup:

Backup server: Dell PE610
HBA: Emulex LPe11002-E
NetBackup 6.5.3
Robot: Quantum Super Loader 3
Drive: 1 x LTO3
NetApp: FAS250
Fiber switch: Brocade

The backup server, robot and NetApp are all connected to the Brocade. The NetApp can see the tape drive OK.

This may well be an OS problem but I will post here anyway as someone may be able to help.  I have added "options scsi_mod_max luns=128" to my /etc/modprobe.conf file and recreated my RAM disk using mkintrd and rebooted.

I run "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" and can see my robot and LTO3 drive

I run the wizard and configure for NDMP, scan for devices, and review the devices no problem. I get to the final step and my LTO3 drive is Standalone.  I try to drag it onto the robot but it won't allow me.

Anyone have any ideas?

many thanks
Matt
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified

Thanks for the replies.  I am using SSO.

I resolved the issue by manually adding the drives to the robot in "Media and Device Management".  I also had to delete the storage units and recreate those manually too.

It was all very strange because I have used the wizard numerous times without problem but on this occasion it just would not work. Anyhow, everything is now working fine :)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified
Any takers?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Didn't realise you could do that!

Have you tried:

in the GUI, within Media & Device Management/Devices/Drives right-click on the drive & tick the box "Drive is in robotic l ibrary" then select appropriate library & drive number?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Only one drive in the robot? Sharing tape drive with backup server? That means you have to set it up as a shared drive. Do you have an SSO license?
What version of Data ONTAP? Check the device compatibility guide - some versions of ONTAP supports SSO and others don't.
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/284599.pdf

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
For what I see you are trying to configure a Remote-NDMP setup, first you need to configure your media server to be able to connect and login to the Filer this can be done with set_ndmp_attr -auth filer <user> once you have the access and you successfully connect to the filer with set_ndmp_attr -verify <filer> than you will be able to use that drive has a dedicated device to the filer, if you want to share the drive with other media servers and for other purposes you need to install an SSO license and later configure the SSO drive with the other media servers.

hope this helps.
regards.

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified

Thanks for the replies.  I am using SSO.

I resolved the issue by manually adding the drives to the robot in "Media and Device Management".  I also had to delete the storage units and recreate those manually too.

It was all very strange because I have used the wizard numerous times without problem but on this occasion it just would not work. Anyhow, everything is now working fine :)