cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to understand the relationship between exclude/exception lists and policies

kevindrys
Level 3

Running NBU 7.6.0.4 on Windows Server 2008. Combined Master/Media server.

I'm attempting to configure a backup policy which will backup only two separate folders on a SQL Server. These two folders contain the backup sets from the local SQL Server jobs. We want to continue using SQL Server for the database backups as opposed to NBU SQL Server agent backups of the database. So essentially, this will just be a MS-Windows type backup which will backup the Full, Diff, & Tlog backup files in these two folders (I have separate VMware and OS policies to backup this SQL Server).

I've configured the client properties to exclude the two data drives where these two backup folders reside, but then in the exceptions to exclude list, I added those two data drives back in with a specific path to the backup folders - this is to get the backup files only and no data files. When I created these exclusions/exceptions, I selected the policy I'm configuring these in.

My question is now that I've set up the exclusions/exceptions for this client, I now see the same exclude/exception list for this client in the VMware and OS policies for this client. I've read in this forum that these lists are settings in the registry, so that would explain why these lists follow the client across several polices. But how does one configure polices so that a client can have different folders excluded depending upon the policy.

Also, if what I described above regarding my strategy for backing up only the SQL Server generated backups files is incorrect, please offer some other suggestions. I've looked high and low, browsed this forum, and read the Admin guides and have not really come up with a definitive way to do this (outside of using the NBU agent to do an application based backup with MS-SQL-Server backup type).

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Exclude and then re-include seems extremely messy and prone to errors/mistakes.

Rather create a policy that contains the folders you need to backup.

Let us know!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Why not simply create MS-Windows policy with the folders you need to backup in Backup Selection? What do you currently have in Backup Selection of this policy? I personally do not see a need here for Exclude and Include (exception) lists...

kevindrys
Level 3

Thank you for the reply and that brings up a very good point which I didn't consider - mainly becuase I've been blinded by thinking that exclude/include was the way to go.

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is what I have in the Backup Selection.

I will work on your suggestion and post back here the results.

Marianne

Exclude and then re-include seems extremely messy and prone to errors/mistakes.

Rather create a policy that contains the folders you need to backup.

Let us know!

Genericus
   VIP   

Check the client properties - windows has a totally different access pattern, you can set exclusions at the client properties for <<All Policies>> <<AllSchedules>> or specific policies.

Sounds like you should set the exclusions for those drives on one specific policy, then have a separate policiy to back up those directories alone.

f you want to get fancy, it looks like you can exclude on schedules, I have never done that, so I cannot speak to it.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

kevindrys
Level 3

I wanted to post back on this. I took Marianne's advice and added the directories and in some cases the indivivual file(s) to backup right in the Backup Selections area and left them out of the Exlude List.