cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off attempting to de-dupe on a per backup job basis?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If I have a backup job, which I also want to replicate using AIR between NetBackup domains, but I already know in advance that it will never de-duplicate... then is there a bakup policy selection directive which can be used to instruct MSDP to not attempt to de-dupe for that particular backup job?

7 REPLIES 7

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

what is the storage device for the primary backup operation? Is it MSDP/Advdisk?

andrew_mcc
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Only thing I can think that may help is the "DONT_SEGMENT_TYPES" directive in pd.conf but that works on file types rather than specific jobs or policies. AdvancedDisk is normally an option but isn't supported by AIR unfortunately.

sdo

Thanks Andy.   This post was just me trying to think outside the proverbial box.  Wondering if there's a not yet publicly documented (but definitely supported) feature.

sdo

Storage is Appliance N5230 v2.6.1.2, master/media, three shelves, all for MSDP (little bit of Adv. Disk for catalog backups) - one at each site - 160km apart - no tape.     Lots of MS SQL, all of which is AAG, hence MS SQL compressed dumps to SAN disk, hence flat file backups that do not de-dupe (0% achieved).  But need to be replicated off-site.  All clients are Windows 2012 R2, all are VMs in MS Hyper-V, but no VM style backups, all backups are from clients inside guests.

I know I could add tape, or add more disk - and SLP to advanced disk, and SLP to MSDP briefly and expire after AIR stage, but I want to avoid attempting to de-dupe on a per job basis, i.e. skip all the wasted time and CPU and RAM and disk IO whilst it attempts to finger-print and match lots and lots of data that will never hash match.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

|^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
| The Vault Truck |||""'|""\__,_
| _____________ l||__|__|__|)
...|(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)

sdo

Nice

My ASCII art is limited to:         :)

Bet that wasn't easy!

RiaanBadenhorst