cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Policies of same client with different database

puneetd
Level 3

If I create two policies in netbackup for same client but different database and run both at same time, what will be effect in performation? Can I create such policies and run full or incremental backup at same time. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That is not what @watsons said.

The NIC is just one aspect. 
The type of database (SQL, Oracle, Sybase, etc) will also dictate whether 2 instances of the built-in backup utility can run at the same time.
You need to discuss this with the dba and system owner.

Another aspect is physical resources on the server - does it have enough memory and cpu to handle online db processes as well as more than one backup?
We cannot answer this question for you. 

View solution in original post

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

In database backup netbackup act as thirdparty vendor which collect the information about the backup in center location and give facility to backup on tape.

Example Oracle:

If you have two instance running on same machine that mean you can connect two database using rman using same oracle user.

Technical, taking backup of two database at the same time is possible. But practically its not recommend.

In best practice I never suggest to do this. In database backup the database vendor handle the streams.

Bandwidth and Performance handle by Operating system. 

If  you still want to go with two policy same time then your OS admin / DBA can help you better way in this.

Thanks & Regards,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

watsons
Level 6

This is environment-dependant.

You can test it out to see how it performs.

Anyway, if the client only has a single NIC and limited bandwidth, you probably will feel the performance impact right away as the bottleneck is at your NIC/network. 

Also depend on how much data you're backing up from each policies. 

Thanks Watson,

So it depends on network bandwidth and will no issue as conflict the both policies on backup time.

I will test it

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That is not what @watsons said.

The NIC is just one aspect. 
The type of database (SQL, Oracle, Sybase, etc) will also dictate whether 2 instances of the built-in backup utility can run at the same time.
You need to discuss this with the dba and system owner.

Another aspect is physical resources on the server - does it have enough memory and cpu to handle online db processes as well as more than one backup?
We cannot answer this question for you. 

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

In database backup netbackup act as thirdparty vendor which collect the information about the backup in center location and give facility to backup on tape.

Example Oracle:

If you have two instance running on same machine that mean you can connect two database using rman using same oracle user.

Technical, taking backup of two database at the same time is possible. But practically its not recommend.

In best practice I never suggest to do this. In database backup the database vendor handle the streams.

Bandwidth and Performance handle by Operating system. 

If  you still want to go with two policy same time then your OS admin / DBA can help you better way in this.

Thanks & Regards,

X2
   VIP   

Adding to @Tousif's note, my own recent experience was when one of Oracle clusters had a node evicted a few months ago. The archivelogs for the DBs on the cluster run hourly and  at some point in November they were starting almost at the same time as the Hot backup. You can easily see the CPU/memory usage jump when you have multiple streams for Hot and Archivelogs at the same time.

As it was OK with the DBAs, I excluded the time of Hot backup form the 24x7 archivelogs window to fix the node evictions.