cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Type of NDMP backup though command line

a_la_carte
Level 5
Hello Folks, Just a curious question here. How do I come to know about the type of NDMP backup (local, 3-way, remote) that has already been configured in the existing NetBackup environment through the command line only. This is something that I would like to know without opening any NBU Java or Admin console. Any ideas please...!!! Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can run bppllist to file and then check the file for NDMP policies. You can also run bpimagelist -pt NDMP and check the resulting output for the policy name.

a_la_carte
Level 5

Hi Riaan,

Thanks for the suggestion. But how does running BPPLLIST and BPIMAGELIST help us determining whether Local, 3-way or Remote-NDMP is in place  (the type of NetBackup for NDMP configuration) ?

With Storage Unit name in the output you mean ?

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Sorry i misunderstood your requirement. You'll have to use bpplllist output and look at the residence, then check if the residence is a regular or NDMP type storage unit using bpstulist.

a_la_carte
Level 5

So, there is no single command that could help us achieve this objective and get us straight to the point ?

RiaanBadenhorst

Nope, ndmp local or remote is just a description of how your configuration is setup in terms of storage unit i.e filer has its own or filer sends to media server.

Marc_LHeureux
Level 4
Partner Accredited

With a reasonable amount of shell scripting knowledge and a solid understanding of the various bp*list output formats you can get just about anything by piping a few commands together.

1. You have to know ahead of time whether a particular storage unit was set up for 3-way or local NDMP.  With good naming conventions this should be apparent (is it the filer itself or is it a media server).

2. Then you can use this to print a list of NDMP policies and which storage unit it's configured for.

bppllist -allpolicies -l | awk '{if($1=="CLASS"){P=$2}if($1=="INFO"){PT=$2}if($1~/RES/ && PT==19 && $2!="*NULL*"){print P,$2}}'

Output 1 - I know these are local NDMP because the filer in the policy name matches the filer in the storage unit

NDMP-pn002-PR-wednesday hcart3-ndmp-pn002
NDMP-pn002-PR-tuesday hcart3-ndmp-pn002

Output 2 - I know these are 3 way because the storage unit is an SLP that's using all media servers in a pool

NP-NDMP_3    NP_allmedia
NP-NDMP_4    NP_allmedia
NP-NDMP_5    NP_allmedia

This is the Unix philosophy:

• Write programs that do one thing and do it well.
  • Write programs to work together.
  • Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a universal interface.

Shaf
Level 6

Hi,

you can try command tpautoconf -veriy <netapp node name>

with this command it will not directly tells you which way your ndmp backup are configured but it will give you hint that what are the ways your netapp node supports.

#tpautoconf -verify netappnode-3a
Connecting to host "netappnode-3a" as user "root"...
Waiting for connect notification message...
Opening session--attempting with NDMP protocol version 4...
Opening session--successful with NDMP protocol version 4
  host supports TEXT authentication
  host supports MD5 authentication
Getting MD5 challenge from host...
Logging in using MD5 method...
Host info is:
  host name "netappnode-3a"
  os type "NetApp"
  os version "NetApp Release 8.3.1P1"
  host id ""
Login was successful
Host supports LOCAL backup/restore