cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UAC: to disbale or not?

X2
   VIP   

I have read in official documentation and tech notes/this forum/etc. about the need to disable UAC. The Install Guide has that requirement only under the server install section but no mention of UAC under the client install section.

So my question is: Is it required to disable UAC on Windows servers when installing/upgrading NetBackup client?

As documentation does not indicate that disabling UAC is mandatory for client installs - why does the install script warn the user to disable it?

PS: Install guide only mentions that the account needs access to write to C:\Program Files\ only.

Environment: Master/Media on Linux with NBU 7.6 and clients are Windows 2008/2008 R2/2012 regarding UAC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Honestly, each organization has different security policies and sometime if you disable it, it still doesn't work. I've also installed with it on, and with it off. I've not seen a definitive answer. Just yesterday my installed failed and a reboot resolved it. There are a lot of things that can block your install, at least in the MS world.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

See this note https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/it-necessary-disable-uac-installing-netbackup (comments from SymTerry)

Marianne

I have seen that install/upgrade works if you right-click, 'Run as Administrator'.
This will be good for local installation. Not good if you want to select multiple network clients.

X2
   VIP   

Thanks.

I had read the post linked earlier (SymTerry's comment also) and as noted in first post the text is under the server install section. The client install section in the Admin guide does not mention UAC.

X2
   VIP   

I have done it once where UAC was ON and I installed it using "Run as Administrator" (thats the way I do it always) locally. The backup worked fine after that.

However, I'm looking for a definitive answer. The reason: there are servers which are managed by a team which does use UAC settings and it will help if I can know for sure if the install will be successful without having to disable UAC and reboot before installing and then enabling it again!

RiaanBadenhorst

Honestly, each organization has different security policies and sometime if you disable it, it still doesn't work. I've also installed with it on, and with it off. I've not seen a definitive answer. Just yesterday my installed failed and a reboot resolved it. There are a lot of things that can block your install, at least in the MS world.