cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNIX and Flashbackup

finalcloud
Level 4

Background:

We had successfully tested Flashbackup using NetBackup 6.5.5 on UNIX media server. 

NBU Master - Windows 2003 using 6.5.5

NBU Media Server - UNIX HP-UX B.11.31 using 6.5.5

In the Policy it was setup:

Atrributes - Flashbackup

Backup Selections:

UNSET CACHE

CACHE=/dev/rdsk/c30t0d0

/dev/vgimagetest/rlvol1

Current Setup:

NBU Master - Windows 2003 using 7.5.1

NBU Media Server - UNIX HP-UX B.11.31 using 7.5.1

Backup Selections:

UNSET CACHE

CACHE=/dev/rdsk/c4t0d0

/dev/vgimage_test/rlvol1

Policy is the same.  When I run the job, it produces an error code of 12 (file open failed).  Also when I modify the policy, the system tries to validate the policy and I get this: Snapshot could not be created with VxFS_Snapshot method.  When I deselect "Perform snapshot backups" under Snapshot client, the validation is ok but I still get the same error.

Any thoughts of what is going on?

24 REPLIES 24

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I wonder if these multi-pathed disks are supported?

Maybe Chris can help here:

In Snapshot Client Admin Guide I see the following:

FlashBackup supports the following I/O system components: ufs, VxFS, and
Windows NTFS file systems, VxVM volumes and LVM volumes, and raw disks.
Other components (such as non-Veritas storage replicators or other non-Veritas
volume managers) are not supported.

When I look at the Snapshot Client CL, I cannot find FlashBackup support for HP-UX on anything other than VxVM volumes. 
(not the easiest doc to read/search...)

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is way over my head.  :) 

I guess one thing I'm confused about is your original post's CACHE variable was set in a way that specified NOT the multipathed....err, path... but one of its component paths, /dev/dsk/c4t0d0.

It looks like you changed it to /dev/rdisk/disk14 when you created a new policy from scratch?

There appear to be a lot of floating variables here - might be time to call support and open a case.  (They might very well tell you what Marianne concluded - that this isn't a supported configuration - in which case I wish I could tell you why it worked in 6.x but doesn't in 7.x, but unsupported configurations are usually unsupported with good reason)

finalcloud
Level 4

Chris,

The server was rebuilt from scratch but it was on HP-UX 11.23 and needed to be on 11.31.  That might explain the different paths.  I will open ticket and reference this thread.

finalcloud
Level 4

Case #03211274 was created. 

Side note, I'm not a fan of the new method to submit tickets online. 

EDIT:

The case # is to create my access to view support cases...fail. 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Don't tell anyone, but I share your sentiments... I had the same experience a couple of weeks ago. Found out that it was the actual case #.