cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu 10.04 client with Net Backup 7

Meg_G
Level 4

I am doing a trial of NB 7 and am attemping to backup my Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit server (whole reason I am doing NB instead of backup exec).  However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to install the client.  I DO NOT have a Linux or UNIX media server, only Windows, so I see that my only option is to do a local install.

I downloaded the Clients DVD media (1.5GB later...) and attempted the install for the RedHat client as there are no Ubuntu installs!  I get this error:

not foundent: 6:
not foundent: 37:
not foundent: 39
bad trap: 15

Same error is produced on a 32-bit system....although the release notes for 7 say only 64 bit is supported.

I have read through this:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH63359  All prerequisites are installed.

My suspicion is I am not using the correct install media/files.  Could someone point me in the direction of the correct files?  Like I mentioned, I have a trial of the software so I can't call in for support.  Documentation re: ubuntu is pretty much non-existant.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6

Meg_G
Level 4

Should also add that this command:  ./NB_7_CLIENTS_GA/install

Produces this:

: command not found
'ash : /nbclient/NB_7_CLIENT_GA/install line 15: syntax error near unexpected token `{
'ash : /nbclient/NB_7_CLIENT_GA/install line 15: syntax error near unexpected token `trapped()

That makes no sense to me....like it can't process the basic shell script function on line 15.

Anyone gotten this working?

Zak_Meekins_2
Level 6

Install the 6.5.4 client - it will work. The 7.0 Client dosent seem to like unbuntu.

Meg_G
Level 4

I'll give it a shot.  Aside from File Connect is there somewhere I can download this?  I have no access.

Any idea if this is a supported config?  10.04 wasn't supported in 6.5.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

NetBackup (tm) 6.x Operating System Compatibility List
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70729

There is also a comment in same against ALL ubuntu flavours to

"See TechNote #308593 http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/308593.htm for Ubuntu and Debian considerations."

However, I see no reference to 10.04 in this T/N! ((**EDIT** I see you've already referenced this!))

As far as 6.5GA binaries - I know only of fileconnect.

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified

I have successfully installed the 7.0 client on an Ubuntu 10.04 server.  The problem I ran into during the install is that it attempts to use rpm to install an rpm package of PBX, which doesn't work so well on a debian-based system...

Get the tar file from FileConnect, then copy it to your server.

gunzip NetBackup_7.0_CLIENTS_GA.tar.gz.gz

tar xvf NetBackup_7.0_CLIENTS_GA.tar.gz

cd NB_7.0_CLIENTS_GA/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6

sudo mkdir /tmp/pbx

sudo cp PBX.tar.gz /tmp/pbx

cd /tmp/pbx

sudo gzip -dv PBX.tar.gz

sudo tar xvf PBX.tar

sudo apt-get install alien

sudo alien -i --scripts VRTSpbx-1.4.0.10-10.RH_x86_64.rpm
(you will see errors, you can ignore them)

Then start PBX on the CLIENT:
sudo /opt/VRTSpbx/bin/vxpbx_exchanged start

sudo nano NB_7.0_CLIENTS_GA/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6/cp_to_client

Comment out lines 1723 - 1732 by inserting a # at the start of the line (use Control-W in nano to search for PBX to help locate this):

1723 #       ${ECHO} "
  1724 #Installing PBX..."
  1726 #       ${SOURCE_DIR}/installpbx -f PBX.tar.gz
  1727 #       if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
  1728                 ${ECHO} "
  1729 #Installing PBX was unsuccessful.
  1730 #Aborting ..."
  1731 #               exit 1
  1732 #       fi

Hit Control-X to save and exit.

Then execute the "install" script in /NB_7.0_CLIENTS_GA

Success!

Infinite_Zero
Level 1

I have followed Symantec's published workaround to install NBU 7.0.1 client on Unbuntu 10.4, but can't get PBX to start successfully.  The NBU client installer verifies pbx_exchange is running before continuing with the install; otherwise it aborts.

As far as we can tell, the VRTSpbx-1.4.6.0-0.RH_x86_64.rpm installed successfully for us with alien, however when trying to start PBX it segfaults.  dmesg shows this:

[2171960.927718] pbx_exchange[22619]: segfault at 7ffff7ef57bd ip 00007ffff76093f3 sp 00007fffffffd4a0 error 7 in libvxul.so.3[7ffff75fc000+23000]

Also, this wasn't in the tech doc, but for us to get the NBU install script to work for installing xinetd we needed to:

mkdir /etc/rc.d

ln -s /etc/init.d /etc/rc.d/init.d

If we can just get PBX running we can get the client installed (we're so close).