cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Duplicate Tape-Tape : NAS Images enabled with Multistream

Harish_Ramakris
Level 4

Hello -

Please help in dupliacting an Image from Tape-Tape, I see the Job is Active form more than 10 hours with just reading the source tape, but no progress further.

I read few articles in the community and found NAS Images enabled with Multi stream cannot be duplicated, but just wanted to check if this is possible with vault?

Thanks in Advance

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you choose a different Volume Pool as destination?

If same volume pool is used, NBU sometimes identify the source tapes as destination as well, resulting in a 'hanging' job.

Extract from NBU Admin Guide I:

NetBackup does not verify that the media ID selected for the duplicate copy is not the same as the media ID of the volume that contains the original backup. Because of this potential deadlock, specify a different volume pool to ensure a different volume is used.

Harish_Ramakris
Level 4

I have createad a different volume and have assigned new set of scratch tapes with New SU too.

Marianne
Level 6

Please show us all parameters that you chose in the GUI or with bpduplicate command. 
Also show us all text in Activity Monitor Details tab.

Do you have 'admin' log enabled on master as well as Media server(s)?

Other logs that will be helpful: 
On media server(s): bptm and bpbrm.

Harish_Ramakris
Level 4

We were able to resolve the issue by targeting the duplication to non NDMP STU, followed by link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH21245

However I now need to test the restore from secondary image, but I am unable to browse the directory from the secondary Image.

Marianne
Level 6

There is no way to browse a secondary image. Each image id has one catalog entry, with reference to location, retention, etc of all copies in image headers.

So, to restore from a secondary copy, you need to promote the copy to primary, then browse and restore normally.