cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access backup files older than 3 months after master server migration

miali
Level 3

Hi,

We are currently in the legacy netbackup version 7.5.0.6. we migrated our netbackup master to a new server yesterday using catalog backup and recovery (keeping the same hostname, installation path etc on the new master), (Recover the entire Netbackup catalog? Yes).

The catalog recovery went through fine. DB consistency and other validations were all good. All processes came up fine. Since all validations looked fine, we have started the new backups already.

However, I noticed today that I am unable to browse or list files in the backup images older than approx 3 months from now (backups newer than that are fine and I am able to restore them). However using bpimagelist and bpcatlist we can see the older images, but unable to list files in those images using bpflist. We are unable to find old backups from netbackup GUI as well. I picked up a few old random backup_ids and i could even see the images files for it (like /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/client-name/xxxx/policy_name_yyy.f.z) which is same size as the one on older tape master.

Also running nbfindfile for older date intervals is throwing a "system call failed" error. Because of this issue we are unable to recover backups older than 3 months.

Output of below commands did not show any errors:
nbdb_ping
nbdb_admin -validate -full
nbemmcmd -listmedia -allrecords

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

miali
Level 3

This is resolved now. 

NetBackup 7.5 Catalog Compression utilizes the compress and uncompress commands installed on most UNIX operating systems. However this package has been depracated on linux 5 and above. We were on Linux 6.6. the issue got resolved after I installed ncompress on the tape master server.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

Are you specifying the start date (-d option) on your bpflist command? Some of the commands have default start dates going back a fixed time from the present.

Yes, I am specifying both start and end dates.

miali
Level 3

This is resolved now. 

NetBackup 7.5 Catalog Compression utilizes the compress and uncompress commands installed on most UNIX operating systems. However this package has been depracated on linux 5 and above. We were on Linux 6.6. the issue got resolved after I installed ncompress on the tape master server.