cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to add tape library robot

amazurk
Level 3

I am trying to add a TLD Scalar i80 tape library to my netback up but I am unable to detect it. I have added the tape drive associated with the tape library but when I try to add the robot library, nothing can be found. I'm not sure if this is a driver issue or a netackup issue. Any help would be appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
On the media/master server where you are attempting to configure the library in NetBackup, please share the output of scan command

windows - install_path\volmgr\bin\scan
linux/unix - /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan

This will confirm if the robot and drives are visible at the OS level

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you checked Windows Device Manager?

The default Windows Device Driver (Unknown Medium Changer) for the tape library is normally sufficient.
If tape drivers are loaded, they will appear towards the bottom as Tape Drives.

If they don't show up, you need to verify hardware connectivity.
FC or SCSI?
If FC, through a switch or direct to server hba?
It may even be related to the hba in the server (FC or SCSI) - Have you checked hardware compatibility with library and tape vendor?

Once all is seen in Device Manager, then run scan command to verify that devices are responding to scsi-commands.

Since this system is a private network I can't copy and paste but I can give you the majority of what the command said.

Deivce Name " Tape2"

Passthru Name "tape2"

Volume hearder """"

Inquiry  : HP   Ultrium 5-SCSI

Vendor ID: HP

Product ID : Ultrium 5 SCIS

Product REV; Y6MZ

Device Type : SDI_tape

NETBACKup Drive: Type 10

Removeable: yes

Device support SCSI-6

Flags: 0x0

Reason: 0x0

There are three drives connected and they all say the same thing minus the serial numbers.

They are connected through FC, directly from the server to the tape library. The tape drives are visible in the device manager and netback can see them, just not the tape library.

DPeaco
   VIP   

Just a minor suggestion.....Make sure you have the drivers installed for both robot and tape drives. I've found that making sure I have current and installed drivers does make a considerable difference in device discovery and device operation. Also make sure that your tape library firmware is current as well as the firmware for your tape drives. I know this is asking a lot but it does make a difference...based on my experiences.

Firmware and Drivers are here: http://www.quantum.com/serviceandsupport/softwareanddocumentationdownloads/lto-5hh/index.aspx

Thanks,
Dennis

Marianne

Please check if the Library is visible in Windows Device Manager under 'Medium Changers'. 

Seems only the tape drives are visible and not the library (Medium Changer)?

So there is no medium changers in device manager. The Quantum I80 uses HP tape drives which are installed but I cant find any drivers for the actual tape library.

Marianne

You need to check physical connectivity. Maybe consult the library installation guide.

Once the library is seen by the OS, it will load the default Windows Device Driver called 'Unknown Medium Changer'.
This is sufficient from NBU point of view.

once you get the device paths on the Windows machine toh can use tpconfig commands to verify if they are really accessible
tpconfig -dev_ping -port port -bus bus -target target -lun lun

if all the devices are responding and correctly reporting details then I would say try to update the NetBackup device mappings file once and then attempt the configuration

The latest device mappings version I believe is 1.149

So I updated all the drivers on my server and had saw the medium driver unknown. I tried to install the robot but it still wasnt working. I rebooted the server and now the medium driver is gone from device manager. I'm really starting to believe that this is an issue related to the server drivers. 

Marianne

You still have an issue between the hardware and the OS. My suspicion as this stage is with the hba or hba driver.

Which make/model hba are you using to connect to the library?
Best to download hba tools (e.g. HBAnyware for Emulex or Sansurfer for Qlogic) to verify that the all is well down the SCSI layer. 

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi amazurk !

The given hints are right. As long as you cant see the Library in your device manager your problem is not netbackup related.

You should check

- SAN Zoning

- HBA settings on WHost. (The hint by @Marianne to use the vendor tools are great)

- Library settings. Do you have partitioning ? Where is the controlpath ? The i80 is visible as LUN 1 on one of your tape drive.

Documentation and drivers for i(0 youll find here: http://www.quantum.com/serviceandsupport/softwareanddocumentationdownloads/si40/index.aspx

ciao

Martin