cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to backup sharepoint

mmartini443
Level 3

Hi everybody!

I'm having troubles while backing up Sharepoint 2010 over Windows Server 2008 R2.

The job ends with status 2 and don't backup anything.

This is the end of the detailed status of the job. sharepoint.png

Also I attach the bpresolver log, where I believe the problem is.

I really can't see where is the problem, I followed all the steps from the Sharepoing GRT guide (HOWTO73100) but the error still..

Hope somebody can help me with this.

Thansk a lot in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Khalid_Mashaykh
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Try to open BAR (NBU Client) in the front end server and check if you able to see SPS resources there?

if not, open your registry on your Frontend and SQL servers and navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\BEDS\Engine\SharePoint\Farms. You should have a String Value with the Name set to the <SQL server Name>\<Instance Name, if applicable>\<Config Database Name> and the Data is the <Frontend Web Server Name> in parenthesis ()

if the registry keys not there then follow the below steps:

1. Log into the Frontend Web Server (FEWS) that you run Central Admin using the account used to backup Sharepoint in NetBackup.

2. Open a command prompt (Run as Administrator) and run the following (replace <clientname> with the name of your FEWS used in the backup policy):

<install_path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpresolver.exe query -c <clientname> -ct 8 -init_beds "Microsoft SharePoint Resources:\*"

Also make sure you create beds folder in all SPS servers.

Good luck!

Khalid

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Which server did you use as the client in the poilicy? It should be your front end SPS server.

So its either the database server, or you don't have the permissions set up correcty.

Download and run the sharepoint check to verify all prerequisits.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/sharepointcheckexe-configuration-checker

:09:32.320 [6252.6984] <2> DebugLog(): INF - GetTopology returned be0, from server BHUSHAREPOINTDW, as user bhu\administrator
17:09:32.320 [6252.6984] <2> DebugLog(): INF - FS_CreateTempDLE
17:09:32.320 [6252.6984] <2> DebugLog(): INF - Acquiring Critical Resource interface in 'ICriticalResource::AcquireInstance:500'
17:09:32.320 [6252.6984] <2> DebugLog(): INF - Status 'Unspecified error (0x80004005)' for 'ICriticalResource::AcquireInstance( &m_pICriticalResource )' in 'CritSysProt::CritSysProt:25'
17:09:32.320 [6252.6984] <2> DebugLog(): INF - WARNING: Failed to acquire critical resource interface (0x80004005).  Critical device bits will not be set. in 'CritSysProt::CritSysProt:35'
17:09:32.320 [6252.6984] <2> DebugLog(): INF - This is an SPS server, but we failed to get the topology
17:09:32.321 [6252.6984] <2> DebugLog(): INF - ERROR: Could not connect to server BHUSHAREPOINTDW
17:09:32.321 [6252.6984] <2> DebugLog(): INF - This server is NOT an SPS webserver
17:09:32.321 [6252.6984] <2> DebugLog(): ERR - BEDS_AttachToDLE():FS_AttachToDLE() DeviceName:'(BHUSHAREPOINTDW)' BackupReason:0x1 Failed! (0xE000FEFF:The specified machine is not a SharePoint Server.

mmartini443
Level 3

Thanks for your answer!

I'll run this check and let you know the result.

Will_Restore
Level 6

We had a couple issues with our setup initially and the SharePoint Check tool highlighted them easily.  It was a bit harder to convince security the permissions which are absolutely required not just nice to have.

watsons
Level 6

Usually when even HOWTO73100 does not help, I find it is the permission issue. 

Make sure the domain account you used has access to those site collections you are trying to backup. In Sharepoint perspective, the site collection can only accomodate 2 accounts (1 primary + 1 secondary) and if domain account is not one of them, backup may fail. Anyway, before you change anything, check with your Sharepoint admin to confirm this won't impact other access.

mmartini443
Level 3

Hi everybody.

I ran the checker, the result is this.Sharepoint_check.png

I unchecked in IE what the checker said and ran it again, but I got the same error.

According to the checker, the users/privileges thing it's ok.

What do you recommend to do now?

Thanks everybody for the help.

RiaanBadenhorst

Then you can answer the question I had asked. Which server did you use as the client in the policy? The SharePoint DB server, or the web front end? It must be the front end? Or is your deployment an all in one type?

mmartini443
Level 3

It's only one server which contains the db and the web server.

Thanks.

RiaanBadenhorst

longshot but have you tried with the FQDN in the policy instead of just hostname?

Khalid_Mashaykh
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Try to open BAR (NBU Client) in the front end server and check if you able to see SPS resources there?

if not, open your registry on your Frontend and SQL servers and navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\BEDS\Engine\SharePoint\Farms. You should have a String Value with the Name set to the <SQL server Name>\<Instance Name, if applicable>\<Config Database Name> and the Data is the <Frontend Web Server Name> in parenthesis ()

if the registry keys not there then follow the below steps:

1. Log into the Frontend Web Server (FEWS) that you run Central Admin using the account used to backup Sharepoint in NetBackup.

2. Open a command prompt (Run as Administrator) and run the following (replace <clientname> with the name of your FEWS used in the backup policy):

<install_path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\bpresolver.exe query -c <clientname> -ct 8 -init_beds "Microsoft SharePoint Resources:\*"

Also make sure you create beds folder in all SPS servers.

Good luck!

Khalid

mmartini443
Level 3

Thanks for your reply.

I'll do what you suggest and then comment the results.

mmartini443
Level 3

Khalid, I cannot see anything on the BAR beacuse I can't back up anything. I attached the error that I get when I try to backup.

I checked what you said about the entryon the registry and it was there exactly how you mentioned.

Thanks for caring.

Khalid_Mashaykh
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Please try to run the below command in SPS FE server (login as SPS admin ...) :

use for client name both hostname and FQDN and comment the results here ..

Thanks

Khalid

mmartini443
Level 3

Hi!

I ran what you said, on the NB Master and the SPS FE server.

This are the results:

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpresolver.exe query -c bhusharepointdw -ct 8 -init_beds "microsoft sharepoint resources:\*"
INF - RESOLVER START 6280
TRV - BPRESOLVER has executed on server (BHUSHAREPOINTDW)

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpresolver.exe query -c bhusharepointdw.bhu.net -ct 8 -init_beds "microsoft sharepoint resources:\*"
INF - RESOLVER START 6224

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpresolver.exe query -c bhusharepointdw -ct 8 -init_beds "microsoft sharepoint resources:\*"
INF - RESOLVER START 5300

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpresolver.exe query -c bhusharepointdw.bhu.net -ct 8 -init_beds "microsoft sharepoint resources:\*"
INF - RESOLVER START 6512

Is this working fine? I believe it is, but not sure.

Thks