cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to backup system state, invalid filelist specification (69)

LouiseD
Level 4

Hi

Our master server backup started failing a week or so ago with 'invalid filelist specification (69)'

ERR - Unable to backup System State or Shadow Copy. Please check the state of VSS and associated Writers.INF - Estimate:-1 -1

The VSS writers are all stable, I can perform a Windows system state backup successfully, tried wofb enabled/disabled and several reboots.

This just suddenly started happening, the only change around that time was the MSDP pool was increased in size.

Master server is Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise running Netbackup 7.5.0.6

Any advice would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LouiseD
Level 4

No Netbackup service logon accounts have been changed and SP1 is installed.  No DFSR on this server either. vssadmin shows all stable and no errors and only one provider listed.

The following error appeared in the bpbkar log

DeviceName:'System?State' BackupReason:0x400 Failed!

which led me to

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH206217

Made the registry change and the system state is currently backing up :)

Thank you very much for your help.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I know it doesn't solve you situation as such but why do you backup your Master Server?

I guess the regsitry may be of use for a few NetBackup settings in the case of a disaster but you can't actually restore anything until you have rebuilt it manually anyway.

In terms of your actual error you will probably find it is connected with VSS not being able to cope with the new drive sizes of the VSS limits are not set correctly causing VSS not to be able to create a snapshot

What does it say in the event logs when this happens - that usually gives a good clue

LouiseD
Level 4

Hi Mark, thanks for the quick response.

Belt and braces approach!

The policy is set to only backup the system state and the C: drive (not the 64TB volume)

There are no errors in the eventlog regarding the failure.

Thanks.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Do your use System State or Shadow Copy Components as the directive?

I have seen this cause an issue - as you are on 2008 try Shadow Copy Components instead

LouiseD
Level 4

I have tried both directives with the same results.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Very odd that nothing shows up the in System or Aplication event logs on the server when this happens

Create the bpbkar log folder, run it again and attach the log as a text file so that we can see what it is saying.

Have you changed the NetBackup Client Service or NetBackup Legacy Network Service accounts on the Master Server? If so do they have full local admin rights on the server?

The other thing that can cause it is if DFSR has started to be used on the server.

Does the Master have 2008 SP1 installed?

Just wondering if your new storage may be the issue and it is calling the writers for the storage rather than VSS itself - could you show us the output of vssadmin list writers please as you may need to implement this:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH158127

LouiseD
Level 4

No Netbackup service logon accounts have been changed and SP1 is installed.  No DFSR on this server either. vssadmin shows all stable and no errors and only one provider listed.

The following error appeared in the bpbkar log

DeviceName:'System?State' BackupReason:0x400 Failed!

which led me to

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH206217

Made the registry change and the system state is currently backing up :)

Thank you very much for your help.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

AH! So you made the disk that big then - you should be OK now - let us know if it finishes successfully

LouiseD
Level 4

Completed successfully.

Thanks again.