Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to bring up NetBackup Authorization nbazd on windows 2008

lowkh76
Level 3

Hi Peoples,

I am trying to configure NBAC on my netbackup. Please see below

D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>bpnbaz.exe -setupmaster
You will have to restart NetBackup services on this machine after the command completes successfully.
Do you want to continue(y/n)y
Gathering configuration information.
Please be patient as we wait for 10 sec for the security services to start their operation.
Generating identity for host 'masterserver'
Setting up basic authorization information. Please be patient.
Unable to contact Netbackup Authorization Service. Check if the Netbackup is properly installed

So obviously i think the service is not up and so i went to the windows services and try to start it up, but was unable to. So i go to D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\logs\nbazd\debug\ and check the file vxazd_debug.log and saw the error message below.

15/7/2015 2:52:50 PM 15/7/2015 2:52:50 PM VxSS-vxazd LOG V-18-4201 Server is starting.  
_authd_config.c(205) Conf file path: D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\sec\az\bin/VRTSaz.conf
15/7/2015 2:52:58 PM VxSS-vxazd ERROR V-18-3078 Fatal error encountered. (main.c:1376) 
15/7/2015 2:52:58 PM VxSS-vxazd LOG V-18-4204 Server is stopped.  

following this article, https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH174289.html i query the registry and the result is shown below

D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\sec\az\bin>reg query HKLM\software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\NBAZDB /v EngineName

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\NBAZDB
    EngineName    REG_SZ    NB_MASTERSERVER

I also did check the vxdbms.conf and the NB_SERVER Name is as below

VXDBMS_NB_SERVER = NB_masterserver_m

The server.conf file,

-n NB_masterserver_m -x tcpip(LocalOnly=YES;ServerPort=13785) -gd DBA -gk DBA -gl DBA -gp 4096 -ti 0 -c 25M -ch 500M -cl 25M -zl -os 1M -o "D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\log\server.log"

Also i did a check on VRTSaz.conf, i also notice that it states MasterServerHost="localhost" 

My masterserver hostname is masterserver_m

Can anyone please advise why the nbazd service not able to bring up? I do notice that the registry key name is different from the vxdbms.conf and server.conf file for the NB_SERVER.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lowkh76
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

My problem is solve. The service is able to bring up.

What i did is to change my registry value from NB_MASTERSERVER to NB_masterserver_m base on the docs https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH174289.html

Will configure NBAC next.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You forgot to tell us which version of NBU.

Steps are different pre- and post NBU 7.1.

Please also share the document name or URL you are using to configure NBAC.

lowkh76
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for your reply.  My NBU is 7.1.0.3. And my document base is download from symentec Netbackup_SecEncryp_Guide.pdf

Thank you

Marianne

Can we assume that you are using the 7.1 version of the doc?

NBU Security and Encryption Guide : http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3655 

I am no NBAC expert and my previous attempts to configure and implement (in a cluster) have ended up in Support calls with Symantec.

The only thing I have to contribute here is a common problem with W2008 - User Access Control.

Is UAC disabled or have you opened cmd with 'Run As Administrator'?

If the problem is not with UAC, then I can only suggest that you log a Support call.
But... NBU 7.1 is so old that Support may ask you to upgrade to 7.6.x ...

lowkh76
Level 3

Yup, i am using that guide. And yes i have open command prompt with "Run As Administrator".

All command are run thru there. I think very high chance is because the registry value 

D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\sec\az\bin>reg query HKLM\software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\NBAZDB /v EngineName

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\NBAZDB
    EngineName    REG_SZ    NB_MASTERSERVER

and the server.conf and vxdbms.conf for NB_masterserver_m is different. I would like to confirm if this is the problem before i proceed to change the registry value.

When installing NBU, the NetBackup Authorization is install by default and it is suppose to be run on default ?

Marianne

The service does not not run by default and NBU will probably try to start it as part of the '-setupmaster' procedure.

The reason for failure can still be a user permission issue.

You may want to disable UAC and also double-check that your user id has full local admin rights.

If all of that checks out, I can only suggest that you log a Support call.

lowkh76
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

My problem is solve. The service is able to bring up.

What i did is to change my registry value from NB_MASTERSERVER to NB_masterserver_m base on the docs https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH174289.html

Will configure NBAC next.