Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to change Data expiration date on expired media/backup images

Data_Guy1
Not applicable

Morning All,

Maybe someone could help us out.

We are in a slightly different position with our Netbackup setup (7.5 on MS Server 2003), as its sole purpose is to restore data for one of our clients, so we have no control over the initial backups. 

They send us some tapes, we do a Ph1 import of the tapes and the then Ph2 and all is hunky dory.  However recently we have just started to recieve media that has recently expired.

I have tried to change both the Image expire date using bpexpdate but it was just getting "unable to process request"
thats when i came accross this: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175365 which basicly advised to try changing the date on the expired media instead of just one image.

however when i try to change the date using bpexpdate.exe -m <MediaID> -d 10/31/2020 i get the same message. "unable to process request"

This is where i got stuck and i run out of ideas,
Is there anywhere i can look for more details of the error? logs etc?

Thanks,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

we have just started to recieve media that has recently expired

Data expiration dates can only be changed before images have expired.

Once expired, you need to perform phase 1 and 2 imports again... if not yet overwritten by new backups...

Please show us output of the following for one of these tapes:

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id>

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

we have just started to recieve media that has recently expired

Data expiration dates can only be changed before images have expired.

Once expired, you need to perform phase 1 and 2 imports again... if not yet overwritten by new backups...

Please show us output of the following for one of these tapes:

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id>

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
So this is a DR / Restore server that only knows imported tapes? Are you saying that these tapes have been seen before and have not yet expired but now have new data on that is different to what is known at the DR Site? Please clarify exactly what is going on here so that we can help you - sounds like you may need to expire the DR servers current copy before you can import the tapes? Just to clarify, when you import a tape it takes on its original retention period starting from the day you import it so when it expired has no bearing on the DR system