cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to change NumberOfLogFiles option using vxlogcfg

KirillKrotov
Level 4

Greetings! 

I want to set maximum count of unified log files for nbsl process. I used following command:

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 132 -s NumberOfLogFiles=15

At that time count of these was 8. But now it's greater than 15.  In nblog.conf i have right value of NumberOfLogFiles.

How i can resolve this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@KirillKrotov

Just verified it. Setting up vx logs does not require any restart of NBU services. But unfortunately we changed other parameters as well i.e. LogRecycle=true. Changing this parameter would take into effect only after a restart of NetBackup services not prior to that

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Try this and see if it helps you out

vxlogcfg -a --prodid 51216 --orgid 132 -s
RolloverMode=FileSize MaxLogFileSizeKB=512000
NumberOfLogFiles=15 LogRecycle=TRUE

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Amol_Nair

Do you know if cleanup of Unified logs are also linked to the 12-hourly cleanup cycle on the master? 

@Marianne

The cleanup of logs does not really follow the 12 hour interval as for the normal image cleanup sessions running in the background.

It works more on a day to day basis. Every day at midnight or a few minutes over midnight, bprd makes a call to attempt to cleanup logs. If its just client then you would see something like - "bpclntcmd -clean_old_logs" running on the client machine. One of the hidden switches in bpclntcmd cli to cleanup logs 
The parent bprd process forks a child which in turn loops through the server list (and the media_server list). It then makes a call to - " recycle debug logs on server <remote_server>"

The bpcd logs should show messages similar to below
bprd -dontfork -keeplogs <kp_value> -recycle_server <master_server>

The <kp_value> is from the global configuration on the master.

LogRecycle for unified logs is added to enable/disable log recycling for given originator. If enabled, log recycling will occur at the time of rollover.
If number of log files reach NumberOfLogfiles+1, oldest log file will be removed and new log file will be created.

If rollover policy is set to FileSize, logs should never use disk space more than (NumberOfLogFiles+1)*MaxLogFileSizeKB.

At the backend unified logs would be cleared off via the vxlogmgr command.

One of the old technotes in regards to these parameters for reference
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100017250

Just noticed that in my previous post while adding it using my phone I did miss out of a couple of -s entries per option.

@KirillKrotov The exact command above would be as below

vxlogcfg -a --prodid 51216 --orgid 132 -s RolloverMode=FileSize -s MaxLogFileSizeKB=512000 -s NumberOfLogFiles=15 -s LogRecycle=True

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Amol_Nair

Thanks for the explanation!

@KirillKrotov, sorry to have hijacked your post!

@Amol_Nair 

I have used this command but i have the same result. 

Work it only after restart the server or it change settings on the go?

@KirillKrotov,
Sorry to get back so late..
hope the command ran successfully and you saw the output as well stating that the command completed successfully..

Ideally a service restart was only required in older Nbu versions.. not in the later versions..
But ofcourse if either there are any hung processes then yes a service restart would be helpful

Could you post a copy of the nblog.conf file from the system

Meanwhile to have the files cleaned up manually you can use -vxlogmgr -d -o nbsl”

This would delete only the nbsl logs, If you need to run it for all unified logs you can use “vxlogmgr -d”
There are extra switches to give specific start and end dates as well if required

@Amol_Nair,

Command ran successfully and value of NumberOfLogFiles from nblog.conf was changed right.

# 132. NetBackup Service Layer
132.L10nResource=nbsl
132.OIDNames=nbsl
132.LogDirectory=nbsl
132.RolloverMode=FileSize
132.NumberOfLogFiles=15
132.AppMsgLogging=ON
132.LogRecycle=true

I want to set this parametr for another services, but i could't restart these, because my enviroment is too busy.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

For 'vx' type logs, there should be no need to restart anything.

@KirillKrotov

Just verified it. Setting up vx logs does not require any restart of NBU services. But unfortunately we changed other parameters as well i.e. LogRecycle=true. Changing this parameter would take into effect only after a restart of NetBackup services not prior to that

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Interesting - looks like some settings you can change, and others you can't then, without a restart.