cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to change media/master server on windows clilent

Bruce_Clegg
Level 5

I am very nearly done with my migration from nbu 7.7 to a new server loaded with nbu 8.0.  More than 99% of the clients on my rhel 7.3 netbackup 8.0 media/master server are linux or solaris.  I have just one windows box that I'm not able to connect to.  It is running windows 2008 standard with service pack 2. There are no other windows servers on the network for me to compare with.

I believe the problem is that I'm unable to really change the Server to use for backups and restores on the Backup,Archive and Restore tool.  I make the change on the client - but it does not seem to take.  I cannot see anywhere else to make a change to a new NBU server.

With the new server loaded in the Windows Backup, Archive, and Restore tool on the client, when I attempt to add the client to the policy on the 8.0 server, I get Error Code 25 - I've gone through the troubleshooters for Error Code 25 and everything is set up properly - the correct ports are open between the windows box and the nbu 8.0 server.  The client is listening on the appropriate ports.  Firewalls have been checked - all the appropriate rules are set up bi-directionaly.  I can telnet both directions on ports 17324, 1556, and even 17382.  DNS is set up properly.

When I edit the Server List in the Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type, I am able to add the new server - but I am not able to delete the old server.  What's more, even though the Server to use for backup and restores is set to the new server - The scheduled job still successfully completed last night on the old 7.7 server.

bpclntcmd -pn shows me the client is still reaching out to the old 7.7 server first.  How can I really get the client to look to the new server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Best is to use the old master server to add new server. 
On old master:
Host Properties -> Clients -> Select client name.  
Servers -> Add new server name

This will update the registry on the Windows client.
Afterwards you will be able to select the client in the same way on the new master and choose the new master name, then select 'Make Master'.

Alternatively, log onto the Windows server as administrator and run regedt32.
Hkey_Local_Machine -> Sotware -> Veritas -> NetBackup -> CurrentVersion -> Config
Select 'Server'

Replace the 1st entry with new master name

This is the equivalent of editing bp.conf on Unix/Linux clients.

It should be able to do it using the Client's BAR GUI.
Open BAR GUI with right-click, "Run as administrator".
Select File -> Check that Client Properties does not show (Read-only)
Specify NBU Machines... -> Edit Server List

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Best is to use the old master server to add new server. 
On old master:
Host Properties -> Clients -> Select client name.  
Servers -> Add new server name

This will update the registry on the Windows client.
Afterwards you will be able to select the client in the same way on the new master and choose the new master name, then select 'Make Master'.

Alternatively, log onto the Windows server as administrator and run regedt32.
Hkey_Local_Machine -> Sotware -> Veritas -> NetBackup -> CurrentVersion -> Config
Select 'Server'

Replace the 1st entry with new master name

This is the equivalent of editing bp.conf on Unix/Linux clients.

It should be able to do it using the Client's BAR GUI.
Open BAR GUI with right-click, "Run as administrator".
Select File -> Check that Client Properties does not show (Read-only)
Specify NBU Machines... -> Edit Server List

I opted for the reg-edit solution - which worked - doing a test backup now - thanks for the quick response!