cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to BMR master server

KS2
Level 5

I get this error when I tried to access the BMR management console.

Unable to connect to BMR master server, therefore support for the BMR has currently been disabled

Troubleshooting steps:

1. verify if BMR master server is running.

2. Verify if BMR master server has been registered with Netbackup master server.

Also backups are getting partially successfull now as they are unable to collect BHm info.

Any help on this is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

As Riaan mentioned above, your bmrd (BMR master server daemon) must not be running.

Instead, your bmr setup is not yet done hence the service is not running.

If you want to take BMR enabled backup of your clients then please setup BMR master server.

Which NBU release you are running with?

If 7.0 or greater then please run bmrsertupmaster CLI on your master server which will setup BMR database and start BMR master server daemon. Now your BMR backup and GUI will work.

In case of < 7.0, you need to explicitly install BMR addon using a separate available package. Installation of BMR master server will setup BMR DB and run BMR master server automatically.

Thanks.

-Mandar

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you check if the bmrd process is running on your server > bpps -a on Unix or bpps on Windows.

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

As Riaan mentioned above, your bmrd (BMR master server daemon) must not be running.

Instead, your bmr setup is not yet done hence the service is not running.

If you want to take BMR enabled backup of your clients then please setup BMR master server.

Which NBU release you are running with?

If 7.0 or greater then please run bmrsertupmaster CLI on your master server which will setup BMR database and start BMR master server daemon. Now your BMR backup and GUI will work.

In case of < 7.0, you need to explicitly install BMR addon using a separate available package. Installation of BMR master server will setup BMR DB and run BMR master server automatically.

Thanks.

-Mandar

KS2
Level 5

Hi Riann.. BMRD is running on master server.

Mandar,

If had this setup working till now. However it got stopped after i ran nbdb_admin start command on master server as the emm database was down.

We are using netbackup 7.0.1

KS2
Level 5

I ran the command bmrsetupmaster even though BMR console is showing the same error

RiaanBadenhorst

Try

nbdb_admin -start BMRDB

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

I hope your netbackup is running with BMR enabled license key.

Thanks.

-Mandar

KS2
Level 5

We have proper licensing for BMR.  Even nbdn_admin start bmrd did not help.

RiaanBadenhorst

nbdb_admin -start BMRDB or nbdb_admin -start bmrd?

KS2
Level 5

nbdb_admin -start bmrdb

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Can you check this note and go through the process to validate your BMRDB

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126758

Also, once you've validated it, please check the version matched your NBU version

bmrs –o query –res database –table CurrentVersion

And finally, can you let us know what happened to the system before you were forced to start NBDB with nbdb_admin.

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

I am curious to confirm on bmrd <-> bmr db connectivity.

1. Make sure nblog.conf has debug level set to 6.

2. Please make sure bmrd is running

3. Fire bmrs –o query –res database –table CurrentVersion
as Riaan has mentioned above.

4. Do you see version details displayed after running step 3?

5. If not please attach the bmrd log snippet here.

Also looks like so far you have not taken any bmr enabled client backup on this master server as bmr setup itself shows problem.

If this is true, you may want to run "bmrsetupmaster -redo" cli. This will re-setup whole bmr database from scratch and will run bmrd service. Make sure bmrd is down while executing this cli.

Thanks.

-Mandar

KS2
Level 5

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

BMR was enabled on the clients and we were taking backups without any issues. we had even tested BMR restores in past.

What happened with the system last weekend was - C: drive (NBU is installed) and D: drive (for catalogs only) both were running out of space and emm server was down. I cleared space on both the drives and started the nbdb.

Meantime i'll perform the consistency check on master server and will let u know the results.

RiaanBadenhorst

Maybe also try the good ol reboot, if you've not done so already :)

KS2
Level 5

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have got my BMR setup after folowing your suggestions and after rebooting the server.