cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create a BMR SRT for RedHat 6.4 OS level.

JessieP
Level 3
I am attempting to create a new LINUX SRT so that we can BMR newer RedHat systems... all of my RedHat 5.x systems are able to be BMR'd with my one SRT at RHEL OS level 5.5 but the 6.x systems will not "Prepare to Restore"

We are currently running on NetBackup version 7.5.0.5.  
The BMR Bootserver is "Linux dcunx120 2.6.18-348.6.1.el5 #1 SMP Fri Apr 26 09:21:26 EDT 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"
                                  "NetBackup-RedHat2.6.18 7.5.0.5"

Is there some EEB that can be applied to the Boot Server to allow for RHEL6 or is it not supported at all, or is it supported in NBU7.5.0.6.

Select one of the following options:

1.  Create a new Shared Resource Tree.

2.  Create a new CD image based Shared Resource Tree.

3.  Copy an existing Shared Resource Tree to a new location.

4.  Import a Shared Resource Tree.

5.  Modify an existing Shared Resource Tree.

6.  Delete an existing Shared Resource Tree.

7.  List Shared Resource Trees available on this server.

8.  Quit.

Enter your selection (1-8) [1] : 1

Enter the name of the SRT to create : RedHat_64

Enter the description of the new SRT : RedHat_64_7.5.0.5

Enter the desired RedHat level (3/3.0 or 4/4.0 or 5/5.0) [5.0] :

Enter the desired architecture (i686 or x86_64) [x86_64] :

Enter the directory in which to place the new SRT [/export/srt] : /media

Directory "/media" has 0MB free space, 96MB are needed -- please try again.

Enter the directory in which to place the new SRT [/export/srt] : /usr/openv/srt

Creating repository to stow files from distribution media.

The following media is required:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.0 (x86_64) - disc 1 of 5

Please load the media now.

Load media from (? for help) [/dev/cdrom] : /media

V-125-380 /media/.discinfo(2): expected "Linux Server 5", got "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4"

The loaded media is not correct ... please try again.

The following media is required:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.0 (x86_64) - disc 1 of 5

Please load the media now.

Load media from (? for help) [/media] :

15 REPLIES 15

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Seems your boot server is RHEL 5.x version based. It can prepare only 5.x version based SRT and can recover only 5.x RHEL clients. You need 6.x boot server to create 6.x srt and protect 6.x RHEL client family. Though you can create 5.x srt from 6.x boot server. Backward compatibility is there.

Thanks.

Mandar

katlamudi
Level 4
Employee

BMR Support for RHEL6 clients and boot server has been added since from NetBackup 7.5.

Please find the related information in NetBackup (tm) 7.x Operating System Compatibility List at page#44

" BMR Client/Boot Server support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 begins with NetBackup 7.5. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 GA and Update 1 are supported. Update 3
and Update 4 are supported and require NetBackup 7.5.0.5 or later."

Coming to your problem,  it seems you are using RHEL "5.x" machine as boot server to create SRT for RHEL 6.4

For creation of RHEL6.x SRT, you need to have your boot server of version RHEL6.x only.

JessieP
Level 3

Thanks.  I will get a Bootserver put together and give it a go.  Thanks for the help.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

This article describes BMR Boot Server requirements and information:

Requirements for Bare Metal Restore (BMR) Boot Servers
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87607

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

How goes it?

RHEL 6 supports started with 7.5.  RHEL 6.3 requires 7.5.0.5. RHEL 6.4 is currently not supported.

JessieP
Level 3

Thanks... any ETA of when 6.4 will be supported?

katlamudi
Level 4
Employee

BMR Support for RHEL 6.4 is targetted in upcoming major release NetBackup-7.6 which is yet to be GA'ed.

NetBackup 7.6 Betas are available, which you can try out.

thanks,

MortenSeeberg
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I am also having issues with BMR clients on RHEL 6.4 on a 7.5.0.6 setup, and according to "nbu_7x_scl_2013_10_01.pdf".

1. BMR Client/Boot Server support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 begins with NetBackup 7.5. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 GA and Update 1 are supported. Update 3 and Update 4 are supported and require NetBackup 7.5.0.5 or later.

So 6.4 should be supported(?)

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Hi Morten,

RHEL 6.4 BMR support has been enabled in next upcoming NB major release 7.6.

It is not back-ported to 7.5.0.x release. No guarantee it will be back-ported at this time.

Looks to me that above SCL matrix has RHEL 6.4 entry wrongly added. I will check on this.

Thanks.

Mandar

MortenSeeberg
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ouch :) Just promised a customer that this would work based on the SCL :) and started implementation today, and actually BMR worked just fine of a physical node, but failed on a RedHat Enterprise Virtual node.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Morten:

For your recovery, were you able to create a RHEL 6.4 BMR Boot Server and associated RHEL 6.4 SRT?

Was your BMR recovery done with network boot or with media boot?

By Red Hat virtual node, you mean a guest OS instance on a VMWare server? 

I always associate the word "node" to be for a cluster.  Was clustering part of this or was tis just standalone systems?

Lastly, what errors did you encounter on the virtual "node" restore? What failure did it get?

Yes, sadly the latest OSCL (Oct 1, 2013) has the invalid entry for version 6.4. Most unfortunate. Have you considered creating a RHEL 6.3 SRT and using it to recover the RHEL 6.4 client image?  The Prepare To Restore will generate a large and ominous message to the screen, but note that it is a WARNING message, not a error message.  As long as it says to boot the client to initiate the recovery with a "queued" task ready for the client, the PTR did not fail and a restore attempt is available.

MortenSeeberg
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Didn´t get to that step yet, was fighting with getting the BMR backup to work first :) So I didn´t start creating SRT yet.

And no its its a virtual RHEL server within RedHat Enterprise Virtualization (RedHats virtual hypervisor), but its "just emulating hardware" like VMware, so I don´t see why it shouldnt work.

No cluster, the physical server was just that, a Fujitsu server with RHEL 6.4 (BMR backup went fine, did not yet and probably never will get a chance to BMR their physical boxes).

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Morten:

OK, so I understand that all you have done is try to import a client as a BMR client. It is interesting that you somehow "got it to work".

As for the virtual RHEL server as a BMR client, hate to burst your bubble on that.  See page 7 of this document.

Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x in a Virtual Environment (Virtualization Technologies)   
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089

Don't waste your time trying to ceate an SRT at RHEL 6.4. Don't create your BMR RH Boot Server on a RHEL 6.4 client.

MortenSeeberg
Level 6
Partner Accredited

OK; I see your point(s):

1. Stay away from 6.4 for now (although currently my master is on 6.4, and it can "BMR collect" info from itself :) ).

2. Officially RHEV (virtual clients) is not supported as a guest OS for the BMR client.... although I still think the work involved with getting the BMR client to "recognize" RHEV client and ignore whatever few differences it might have, beeing virtual hardware and all, should be fairly easy to bypass.
I had read both that document and the Software Compliance document, I "misunderstood" the statement on page 7 :(

Is there insight/plans of looking into supporting RHEV support that you can officially discuss?

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Morten:

Getting a bmrsavecfg to run on the Master at RHEL 6.4 is cute, but not of much use unless that Master is a client of another Master.  BMR cannot recover Master Servers as a Master.

You said it fails for the RHEV clients.  Try this to get the root cause:

set DebugLevel=5 for orgid 121 on a the client.  Then run "bmrsavecfg -infoonly" on the client.  See if that works or fails.  Look a the debug information with "vxlogview -i 121".

But, still, all of this is moot until real RHEL 6.4 support comes out.

As for the RHEV client support, I have absolutely no idea what the roadmap looks for it. Once real RHEL 6.4 support is available, it just might work.