Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create a second PureDisk pool for an existant MSDP storage server

osvaldo_olmedo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I have a MSDP storage server with a configured Disk Pool. The storage path is a big filesystem in a SAN storage. I would like to add a new disk pool (using the same and only storage server) using a second file system in another SAN storage. When I tryied to add the new disk pool, I received the following error: "operation would cause an illegal duplication(242) DSM has found that the PureDiskVolume already exists in the database". 

Actually, the storage server sees the volume name (for the existant MDSP pool) as "PureDiskVolume", so for the new Disk Pool I would need to add a new (and different) volume name, that would correspond to a new storage path.

It seems that it is allowed only one storage path (and volume) for a particular Puredisk storage server.

I would need to create two different storage units for the two different filesystems in only one storage server, is there any way to create this configuration?

Thanks and best regards

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That is correct - only one single disk pool on a single volume is allowed for MSDP. Only MSDP on Linux can group additional volumes to have MSDP bigger than 64TB. 

See https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/124361977-124361982-0/v24776572-124361982

If you can expand the volume at hardware level, you can resize the MSDP pool as follows: 
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/25074086-127355784-0/v35104427-127355784

osvaldo_olmedo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Marianne,

I see, only one volume for a particular disk pool, but I would need to create a different pool in order to have a new storage unit (and can choose which SAN storage use for deduplication). 

Is there any way to add a new DP to a Puredisk storage server (which has already configured another DP)? I see that the only way is to use another storage server (media server)

Thanks for your reply

Best regards

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

MSDP only supports one pool. You may have more than one volume in case you go for the 96TB configuration on supported Linux platforms

osvaldo_olmedo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I see that the only solution is consider to add another media server as a storage server and create the second DP. There were two STU for the two different SAN storage

Thanks to all and best regards