cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to delete Tape Storage Unit

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

Master Server:  Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise

Trying to delete a Tape Storage Unit aned am unable to.  A previous thread mentioned about running "nbrbutil -resetAll" nd then delete the SU.  Since I am not familiar with this command (and we are in the process of bringing up our datacenter in a new location), what are the ramifications of this command?  Or, is there a better way to do this?

Many Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not sure what exactly you are trying to delete and what 'unable to delete' means?

Are you trying to delete devices or the STU?

What is happening when you try to delete? 

Please share exact steps and error message(s)?

nbrbutil -ResetAll will only clear all resource allocations - active and 'orphaned' allocations.
See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH46807

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

Marianne,

Thank you for replying.  I opened a ticket with Symantec and we have a recreatable bug with a work-around.

Since we are still trying to bring up our datacenter in a new local, I have to move onto the next fire.  HOWEVER, I will update this thread with details soon.

Many thanks again!

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

Marianne,

Things are calming down.  Here was the problem.  We have a fiber-attached ADIC i500, which when powered off screws up the mappings.  So, in times past, we would go to the Storage Unit and delete ADIC.  There is a bug in 7.6.0.2 that this no longer works.

In order to delete the Storage Unit, you have to run a BPSTUDEL command, or create a new storage unit, immediately cancel, then you can delete the ADIC.  Symantec Technical support saw what was happening and is testing this in the lab.  This function worked in 7.6.0.0.

Many thanks again for responding.  Now to tackle the Data Domain to Data Domain replication issue when using BPDUPLICATE (another ticket was opened for this).

Marianne

... when powered off screws up the mappings.....

Persistent Binding will fix this for you.

I don't understand why you need to delete the Storage Unit when Device Mappings are changed??

Surely you should delete and re-add devices? (robot and tape drives), not STU?

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

When using the wizard to re-add Robots and Drives, NBU will not let you use an existing STU name.  That is why you need to delete the SU.  Evidently this was a bug introduced in 7.6.0.2.  Easy to get around, so no big deal.

I agree about persistent bindings - but since we do not use them, I deal with the hand dealt to me...

Marianne

You should be able to stop with device config before re-adding STU.

Parameters for STU should stay the same since this is a 'logical' entity.

Persistent binding is quick and easy to implement - simply download the management GUI for your hba from the hba vendor web site.