cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to determine robot type

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified
I have a new install: NetBackup 6.5.3.1, Windows 2003 master/media server, Quantum Scalar i40, 2 x LTO4

In Windows, Device Manager is correctly showing the Medium Changer as "Quantum i40-i80 Tape Library".  The tape drives are displayed as "HP Ultrium 4-SCSI SCSI Sequential Device".

All looks good until I run the NetBackup Device Configuration Wizard.  The robot and drives are detected OK during the scan but the Quantum comes up as state "Unusable".  When I view Properties I get:

Unable to determine robot type.
The robot device does not support serialization.
NetBackup does not support this robotic library type as an NDMP device.

I know the robot is mechanically sound, I can log in remotely and move tapes about. Quantum have also checked the log file and confirmed it is all right.

Things I have tried:
Downloaded latest external_types.txt file
Updated firmware on the Quantum

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Matt
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You mentioned updated external_types.txt - what about external_robotics.txt?

Please confirm that new device mappings are correctly installed as per http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/351808.htm:

These instructions assume that NetBackup is installed in the default location of C:\Program Files\VERITAS\.  If NetBackup is installed in a different location, substitute that path for C:\Program Files\VERITAS\ in the instructions below:
1. Download and extract the new mappings file package to a temporary folder.  This will create three files in the temporary location:
Readme.txt (this file)
external_robotics.txt
external_types.txt
2. Copy the external_types.txt file from the temporary location to C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\var\global\ on the Master Server or the EMM Server.
(For NetBackup High Availability environments, copy the file to the shared disk.)
3. Copy the external_robotics.txt file from the temporary location to C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\var\global\ on the master server, EMM Server, each media server that controls a robot, and each media server from which robot inventories will be run.
(For NetBackup High Availability environments, copy the file to the shared disk.)
4. Bring up a command window with Start -> Run -> Type "cmd". Enter the following commands in that command window.
5. Update the NetBackup Enterprise Media Manager database with the new device mappings version. This only needs to be done once and must be run from the Master Server or the EMM Server.  Use the command format below that corresponds to the installed version of NetBackup:
NetBackup 7.x and 6.5:  C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\tpext -loadEMM
      NetBackup 6.0:  C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\tpext

6. For Media Servers running 6.0_MP4 and earlier, manually update each Media Server with the new device mappings.  (On Media Servers running 7.x, 6.5 or 6.0_MP5 and later, this command is not needed since ltid will update the device mappings when it starts.)  This command must be run on each 6.0_MP4 and earlier Media Server that has devices attached:
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\tpext -get_dev_mappings
7. Restart Device Manager (ltid) on each Media Server.  
8. Verify that the version that is now stored in the Enterprise Media Manager database is the same as what is in the file stored on the Media Server:
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\tpext -get_dev_mappings_ver

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Have you stopped Removable Storage Manager Service and set it to Disabled?

RSM will 'fight' NBU for device control...

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified

Thanks, I had already disabled the Removable Storage service.  Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

Marianne
Level 6
You mentioned updated external_types.txt - what about external_robotics.txt?

Please confirm that new device mappings are correctly installed as per http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/351808.htm:

These instructions assume that NetBackup is installed in the default location of C:\Program Files\VERITAS\.  If NetBackup is installed in a different location, substitute that path for C:\Program Files\VERITAS\ in the instructions below:
1. Download and extract the new mappings file package to a temporary folder.  This will create three files in the temporary location:
Readme.txt (this file)
external_robotics.txt
external_types.txt
2. Copy the external_types.txt file from the temporary location to C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\var\global\ on the Master Server or the EMM Server.
3. Copy the external_robotics.txt file from the temporary location to C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\var\global\ on the master server, EMM Server, each media server that controls a robot, and each media server from which robot inventories will be run.
4. Bring up a command window with Start -> Run -> Type "cmd". Enter the following commands in that command window.
5. Update the NetBackup Enterprise Media Manager database with the new device mappings version. This only needs to be done once and must be run from the Master Server or the EMM Server.  Use the command format below that corresponds to the installed version of NetBackup:
NetBackup 7.x and 6.5:  C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\tpext -loadEMM
      NetBackup 6.0:  C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\tpext

6. For Media Servers running 6.0_MP4 and earlier, manually update each Media Server with the new device mappings.  (On Media Servers running 7.x, 6.5 or 6.0_MP5 and later, this command is not needed since ltid will update the device mappings when it starts.)  This command must be run on each 6.0_MP4 and earlier Media Server that has devices attached:
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\tpext -get_dev_mappings
7. Restart Device Manager (ltid) on each Media Server.  
8. Verify that the version that is now stored in the Enterprise Media Manager database is the same as what is in the file stored on the Media Server:
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\tpext -get_dev_mappings_ver

Matt_Musgrove
Level 4
Certified
Many thanks Marianne, that was the solution!  I seemed to have previously downloaded an older version of the mappings file than the one in your link.