Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to identify Cleaning Media

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Hi Techiz,

I have set the barcode rule for Cleaning Meda (CLN, HC2_CLN, None), However after inventory it doesn't show the Cleaning media, I could see 2 medias in IBM Tape Library TS3500, They don't have any cleanings left, still it should reflect in Netbackup database, As I am planning to get a script for checking Cleanings available in Library.

Any reason Cleaning media is not showing up in Netbackup library, Is there any logic of dedicated cleaning slots in library which is affecting this condition?

Thanks

Sid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Diabling Virtual I/O won't make a differance.  VIrtual I/O is related to 'virtual CAP/ MAP' slots - not cleaning tapes.

library based cleaning is 'recommended' ....   It makes no difference, apart from 'who' initiates the load of the cleaning tape.

Library based cleaning - Tape drive sends out a 'help I need cleaning' tape alert, this is detected by the library who loads the cleaning tape.  All of this is invisible to the backup product.

Backup software cleaning - Backup software detects cleaning tape alerts and initiates the load of a cleaning tape.

There is no way to have library based cleaning and the ability to monitor the cleaning tapes in NBU.

Suggest just switching to NBU based cleaning to give you the visability.  You're really not going to notice any difference in the terms of number of cleanings run etc ... 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are the cleaning tapes in regular slots (normally occupied by backup tapes)? 
Or are they in dedicated maintenance slots that can only be seen and used by the tape library?

'Maintenance' slots are not presented to backup software during Inventory and can therefore not be used by NetBackup.
This means that drive cleaning is controlled by the library. 
We call this robotic or library-based cleaning. 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just to add to Mariannes excellent answer.

WHen NBU runs an inventory, it in fact does not do an inventory as such, by this, I mean NBU does not look, it is told.  It actually asks the library, via the scsi CDB 'read element status' what tapes are located in which slots.  Therefore, what NBU 'discovers' during an inventory, is totally controlled by the library.

When a library is set to do the cleaning, the cleaning tapes are located in either dedicated cleaning slots, or regular slots which have been set as cleaning slots.  The contents of these slots are not disclosed to the backup software (and this would be true for any backup product), hence why the tapes are not seen by NBU.

This makes sense, if the library is doing the cleaning, why would you want NBU to see the tapes.

If you turn off library based cleaning, all regualr slots are disclosed, and NBU would then be aware of the cleaning tapes.

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Thanks Marianne & mph999,

I understand the explanation, I believe they are in Maintenance slots. However if i recall correctly Quantum iscalar 500 also had Library based cleaning, still Netbackup could see it, may be they were in regular slots. My purpose is to generate an alert on cleaning medias for no of cleanings left so we can request for new ones. Does TS3500 by default put the cleaning media in maintenance slot when they are kept in MAP? What else can I do to have this alert be generated?

" Note: If virtual I/O slots are enabled, your library will automatically import cleaning cartridges. "

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/STCMML8/com.ibm.storage.ts3500.doc/opg_3584_a69oopins...

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Is the Library able to send SNMP traps perhaps ?

Failing that, you could switch the cleaning from the library to NBU, then the cleaning media will be more visible.

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

SNMP traps is available, However that would involve cost for implementation. And moving from Library based cleaning to NBU based is not recommended.

What if I disable Virtual I/O, would it require a reboot? Also if I disable it then it will be still Library based cleaning and NBU would be able to see Cleaning cartridges?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Diabling Virtual I/O won't make a differance.  VIrtual I/O is related to 'virtual CAP/ MAP' slots - not cleaning tapes.

library based cleaning is 'recommended' ....   It makes no difference, apart from 'who' initiates the load of the cleaning tape.

Library based cleaning - Tape drive sends out a 'help I need cleaning' tape alert, this is detected by the library who loads the cleaning tape.  All of this is invisible to the backup product.

Backup software cleaning - Backup software detects cleaning tape alerts and initiates the load of a cleaning tape.

There is no way to have library based cleaning and the ability to monitor the cleaning tapes in NBU.

Suggest just switching to NBU based cleaning to give you the visability.  You're really not going to notice any difference in the terms of number of cleanings run etc ... 

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Thanks for the explanatoin mph999, Quantum iscalar 500 had Library based cleaning, still Netbackup was able to see cleaning media. No issues, I believe my query is answered

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Maybe some libraries work slightly differently - I have to admit I do not know the exact details of each different model available.

I should perhaps have started my mssages with ... "In general ..."

However, I fairly sure that more ofetn than not, it will be as I describe.   We used to have a lot of IBM 3584s at my last place, but we let teh backup software do the cleaning,

I actually have a new Quantum i80 downstairs, I'll plug it into one of out appliances ad get it up and running and see what that does.  I was planning on letting NBU do the cleaning, but I will make a point of checking how it behaves if I set the library to do the cleaning, and hopefully, I'll remember to report back - need to get it all zoned in etc... first.

M