cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install Netbackup 7.5 media server

p_geormas
Level 4

Hi,

I want to install in a Linux (Centos 6.4) Netbackup Media Server with an image from my SymAccount Connect (I've checked the md5). During the installation I'm not been asking for "Do you want to install Master or Media Server" and the installation is proceeding with Master Server installation. Do I'm missing something?

Master Server : Windows 2008 R2 Netbackup 7.5.0.7

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee

During the netbackup installation when it asks you for the license key if you add the "Netbackup Server" license key instead of the "Netbackup Enterprise Server" key then you will not see the prompt which asks you for the master server's name or the EMM server's name.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is the name of the Installation package that you are using?

I guess the NetBackup_7.5_LinuxR_x86_64.tar.gz package is the one you need.

p_geormas
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Yes this is the package. This is happening for second time. Last year, I tried to install a media server 7.1 and finally a local Symantec Engineer from authorized reseller had another image that was running well. Is it a way to download from another source the image?

Thanks,

Marianne
Level 6

We always download from FileConnect. https://fileconnect.symantec.com

Other than MD5 checksum errors which forced us to re-download, we had no installation issues...

p_geormas
Level 4

Yes, I'm downloading from fileconnect with my business account. 

I know that it seems very strange which is something was and the previous time with the local engineer. 

Is there other way to download the image?

Marianne
Level 6

FileConnect is the only place that I know of.

Our Symantec SE has in the past given us ISO images.

StefanosM
Level 6

I will send to panagiotis a tested netbackup installation binary. I had never seen this problem with another customer.

The installation finishes with all binaries installed and the filing is like the windows silent install.  Of course  there is no information about the master server inside the bp.conf and the emm and SERVER entries points to the media server.

What bugs me the most is that the MD5 is correct.

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee

Please check the license key that you are using to install the binaries.

If you use the Netbackup Server license key then you would not be able to install the media server software.

You can PM me you license key and I can check and inform you if it is NetBackup Server or Netbackup Enterprise Server.

Media server installation is only allowed for Netbackup Enterprise Server

StefanosM
Level 6

good point

I had never test it, but let’s say that it is a netbackup server license. At the end the installation should work fine as a standalone master server.

But the command nbemmcmd -listhosts exits with error.

I will try to open the java interface and see.

Marianne
Level 6

Please locatate the installation log:

/usr/openv/tmp/install_trace.###

Hopefully this will help.

Also try to run install_bp to re-do the configuration part that normally runs at the end of the installation.

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee

During the netbackup installation when it asks you for the license key if you add the "Netbackup Server" license key instead of the "Netbackup Enterprise Server" key then you will not see the prompt which asks you for the master server's name or the EMM server's name.

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee

Just forgot to mention, that you can add other license key once the installation is completed using the utility

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/get_license_key

p_geormas
Level 4

Hi Amol,

After a case opened to Symantec the problem was what you described. Thanks for your comment!

P.S. Thank you also both Marianne and moreover my local (Greek) friend StafanosM!

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee

I had actually put my comment and in few minutes my colleague came to me asking the same question and informed me that she was on a WebEx with the customer and I assumed it would be you smiley

So I requested her to collect you license keys and verified the same. This is when I told her to uninstall netbackup which was installed during the WebEx session and then start the install with the 3rd key that was provided by you.

Good to know that the installation was successful. Next time you proceed with any installation on media servers just ensure that you use the Netbackup Enterprise Server license key during the installation. smiley

StefanosM
Level 6

smileysmileysmiley

Now Panagiotis has to find out why he received this license from symantec. Probably someone in the chain made a mistake when he order the license.

By the way, Amoi as you are working for symantec support you should have a symantec badge.

p_geormas
Level 4

Hi Amol,

Is there a tool that it veriefies what is the license key? Can you please provide me a link to download it?

Thanks,

Marianne
Level 6

The license key always comes with a description - whether you receive it via pdf or hardcopy (printed) version.

So, you need a license key that says 'Enterprise Server' or 'Enterprise Client'.

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee

Stefano, probably since I use my alternate email id would be the reason why it does not show the symantec badge.

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee

The pdf file you receive from Symamtec itself gives you the complete description about the license key you purchase.

I see no reason why you would need any tool to verify the license key.

If you would like to know the active features you can use the bpminlicense -list_keys -verbose

or use the GUI - Help - License Keys

If you still have any queries related to licensing, you can contact Symantec Licensing team.

You can find contact details in the below link

http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp