cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to inventory robot

sushilyadav088
Level 4

I have imported few tapes in library (SL8500) but i am unable to inventory robot and can not see any new tapes under Media. Message i get while inventoring robot is "Could not find cleaning volume CLNUXX in quired volume list.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Sushilyadav088,

I'm taking a bit of a guess here that when the inventory fails with that message, it is not trying to inventory the rest of the tapes.

Have you configured a dedicated cleaning slot for your cleaning tapes in your SL8500?  If you haven't, NetBackup will be trying to inventory your cleaning tape(s) as if they were data cartridges.  This could be the cause of your issue.

You can either configure NetBackup to do your drive cleaning (in which case NetBackup should already know about the cleaning catridges), or you can have your tape library do the the cleaning (either automatically or you do it manually).  In this second case you should configure your cleaning slot(s).

I've had a quick look at the manual for the SL8500 - quite a serious piece of kit Smiley LOL

In there they seem to refer to them as reserved slots, but I didn't spot how they are configured.  There was a warning in the manual:

Important:
ACSLS and HSC cannot access the reserved slots in the Customer Interface Module. So, for any ACSLS or HSC managed cleaning, the cartridges must be placed in the customer usable slots and not in the reserved slots.

So I guess depending on how your library is configured decides what slots the cleaning cartridges should go in.

Steve

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Sushilyadav088,

I'm taking a bit of a guess here that when the inventory fails with that message, it is not trying to inventory the rest of the tapes.

Have you configured a dedicated cleaning slot for your cleaning tapes in your SL8500?  If you haven't, NetBackup will be trying to inventory your cleaning tape(s) as if they were data cartridges.  This could be the cause of your issue.

You can either configure NetBackup to do your drive cleaning (in which case NetBackup should already know about the cleaning catridges), or you can have your tape library do the the cleaning (either automatically or you do it manually).  In this second case you should configure your cleaning slot(s).

I've had a quick look at the manual for the SL8500 - quite a serious piece of kit Smiley LOL

In there they seem to refer to them as reserved slots, but I didn't spot how they are configured.  There was a warning in the manual:

Important:
ACSLS and HSC cannot access the reserved slots in the Customer Interface Module. So, for any ACSLS or HSC managed cleaning, the cartridges must be placed in the customer usable slots and not in the reserved slots.

So I guess depending on how your library is configured decides what slots the cleaning cartridges should go in.

Steve

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
How is the robot control configured?
NBU (TLD) or ACSLS (ACS) ?

Can you firstly check and confirm that the robot itself has completed its own inventory (especially if you perhaps had the robot door open)?

What does robtest show?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

how did you import the tapes into the SL8500.

On the ACSLS server, can run a ACSLS command proc and run the command "q vol {name of tape}"

Has the tape a cleaning label ?

Thanks All !!  It was indeed a problem with newly inserted cleaning tapes. Removed those tapes and it worked.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Simply removing the cleaning tapes from the robot is not really going to solve your problem.

If you answer our previous attempts to assist, we may be able to help you add the cleaning tapes.