cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to obtain the list of backup Images using specified search criteria

yahyazahedi
Level 3

Hi

I am getting "Unable to obtain the list of backup Images using specified search criteria" on several database instances on SQL server 2016 when trying to view the restores.

I am using Veritas NetBackup 8.1.1 and have about 20 databases and most of them are backed up and restored normally, but there are some databases which backup successfully but can't be restored and I got above error. All databases are in one policy and backup from one SQL cluster, the only difference I found is as follows.

The file list shows the address of instance by slash while the other one which works correctly show the address by dots.

1- INF - Using backup image /DBexchange/MSSQL7/SQLCLUSTER/db//~/7/001of001/20190520102023//C

2- INF - Using backup image /DBexchange.MSSQL7.SQLCLUSTER.db.~.7.001of001.20190517001757..C

Thanks

Yahya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

ok but using dot in database name is not generally a good idea, because dot is a separator in MSSQL naming hierarchy (<server>.<database>.<owner>.<table>).

See, for example,  this discussion: https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/1166/is-it-okay-to-put-dots-in-sql-server-database-names. So you can try to use trailing brackets around database name. I guess you will have to use legacy (script-based) policies, not intelligent policies.

Michal

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

yahyazahedi
Level 3

I found a solution to this issue or it is better to say I found the root cause of this problem.

Because my database has a dot in its name it fails and I checked this by creating two databases with a dot and without the dot. But the question comes to my mind is how can I back up from a database which has a dot in its name? 

Please give me a real solution instead of a change in the database name.

Thanks

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

ok but using dot in database name is not generally a good idea, because dot is a separator in MSSQL naming hierarchy (<server>.<database>.<owner>.<table>).

See, for example,  this discussion: https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/1166/is-it-okay-to-put-dots-in-sql-server-database-names. So you can try to use trailing brackets around database name. I guess you will have to use legacy (script-based) policies, not intelligent policies.

Michal

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Try specifying names with quotes in script and command line:

.e.g "/DBexchange/MSSQL7/SQLCLUSTER/db//~/7/001of001/20190520102023//C"

Quotes mean "take the string litteraly, do not perform string interpolation"