cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to recover Oracle Control Files from DataDomain virtual disk

khemmerl
Level 5

I use NetBackup to call a unix shell script to perform database backups.  The Oracle backups are configured to automatically backup the control files upon the completion of the backups of the database files.

My backups go to DataDomain virtual disk.  The DataDomain disk in my datacenter is automatically replicated to a second DataDomain device at my DR site. 

I have stopped the synchronization between the two DataDomains and am now trying to restore my databases.  I have connected to RMAN on the DR server and issued the "Restore Controlfile" command.  The output says:

channel CH1: starting datafile backupset restore
channel CH1: restoring control file
channel CH1: reading from backup piece PASPROD_c-1968089396-20130901-00
ORA-19870: error reading backup piece PASPROD_c-1968089396-20130901-00
ORA-19507: failed to retrieve sequential file, handle="PASPROD_c-1968089396-20130901-00", parms=""
ORA-27029: skgfrtrv: sbtrestore returned error
ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:
   Backup file <PASPROD_c-1968089396-20130901-00> not found in NetBackup catalog.  failover to previous backup

When I connect to RMAN and do a "list backup of controlfile;", I see all the media is listed as "@aaaac" which is the copy of the backup at my primary datacenter.  The media at the DR site is actually "@aaaae".  I know this because I've already gone into the NetBackup Administration Console and selected all the @aaaae media and made it the "Primary Copy".

Has anyone seen a problem like this before?  Does anyone have a recommendation on how I might fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ken

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

Good find.  So you're all set?

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43525

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

khemmerl
Level 5

I found the solution in article TECH43525.  My production database actually runs off a Symantec cluster of two servers and I was attempting the restore referencing the name of the active node rather than the name of the virtual server (which may be running on either of the two physical servers in the cluster).

Ken

Will_Restore
Level 6

Good find.  So you're all set?

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43525