Did you mean: 

Unable to start volume manager service on Master server

gurminder_singh
Level 5

Hello Guys,

Master server 2003.

Netbackup version 7.1

Media\emm\Master server are same

We are facing backup issue on Master servers. Eg. india.abc.y.com to india.xyz.y.com

Last nigh domain name has been been change, which cause earlier I was uanbel to open the netbackp console, But now I have change the name in registry  \current version \config but still facing issue and unable to start Volume manager and device manager service.

Kindly suggest what else changes I need to change on master server to fix this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
The quick fix is to add host files entries for the old FQHN.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sdo

It sounds like your NetBackup installation may have originally been installed using a FQHN name.  If so, then all I can say is that NetBackup Master Server does not support having its server name (or more accuratle described as 'having its instance name') changed.  If you really want to change the 'name' of the NetBackup Master Server 'instance' - then you need special consulting tools - or more specifically, you need a NetBackup professional who has been trained in 'catman' for NetBackup internal database manipulation.

You may be able to work-around the issue by placing host file entries on all backup servers (master and all media servers) and all backup clients - to use the old FQHN to point to the current IP addresses - this should get the master server up.

But then what about all the backup clients too?   Were the clients using FQHN too?  They'all all need changing in teh backup policies too.

gurminder_singh
Level 5

this is very small environment, Master server is working as Media server and EMM and very few clients and I will make changes in client but firstly I need to fix issue for Master server.

sdo
The quick fix is to add host files entries for the old FQHN.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Gurminder,

If the master server was setup with FQDN then change of domain will have vast impact on the master server. If it is set to shortname of the server then you should not have any issues.

Can you please send the command output of nbemmcmd -listhosts. If you cannot share the name, please check the master server name in that entry if it shows as FQDN or shortname. In case it is FQDN , change of registery alone wont help you.

You need to update the NBDB with proper information. In fact this practice is known as Catalog manipulation and should be done by a trained and certified partner.

gurminder_singh
Level 5

Hi

I Checked Master server is setup with only server name as I ran command nbemmcmd -listhost it showing only computername for Master server not FQDN.

And for your information as mentioend by SDO above I have temproray fix that issue with make entry in host file with old fqdn name and then recycle services and also run ipconfig/flushdns and now backups are running fine.

But I wonder as it can create problem while we do the restore.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If it is up and working restores will be fine. If you are unsure - go an test a restore for peace of mind!