Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to take inventory in nbu

Pavan_Sudheer
Level 3

Hi

when i am trying to take inventory getting below given error

bash-3.2# vmupdate -rn 3 -rt TLD -empty_map -rh <XXXXXXXX>
auto empty media access port request rejected by tldcd, Cannot move from media access port to slot

Where i can check, not found any thing in "dmesg" 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

This sounds like an issue with the robot having problems accessing the slots rather than a NetBackup issue

Have you tried using robtest to move the tapes?

View solution in original post

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

On some libraries, usually the smaller ones, sometimes... one of the slots doubles up as the map port.  e.g. slot 24 can be a slot and can also be the MAP port or 'mail slot' port - at the same time!

So, you can have a library with 24 slots, all occupied, and everything is normal and fine.  But when you then try an 'empty_map' action... then... the library reports back to NetBackup that it was unable to empty the MAP - but we know that it didn't need to do that... but NetBackup cannot know any different because the library only reports back to NetBackup that 24 slots exist and that a MAP port exists - but the library does not inform NetBackup that the MAP port/mail-slot port is also the 24th slot.

So, because the tape library vendor has tried to be efficient and clever with their design - this can leave us scratching our heads - until we read the product manual - which tells us what is going on.

HTH.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

This sounds like an issue with the robot having problems accessing the slots rather than a NetBackup issue

Have you tried using robtest to move the tapes?

Will_Restore
Level 6

All library slots already full? 

If you just want to inventory and not inject media, try without the ' -empty_map '

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

On some libraries, usually the smaller ones, sometimes... one of the slots doubles up as the map port.  e.g. slot 24 can be a slot and can also be the MAP port or 'mail slot' port - at the same time!

So, you can have a library with 24 slots, all occupied, and everything is normal and fine.  But when you then try an 'empty_map' action... then... the library reports back to NetBackup that it was unable to empty the MAP - but we know that it didn't need to do that... but NetBackup cannot know any different because the library only reports back to NetBackup that 24 slots exist and that a MAP port exists - but the library does not inform NetBackup that the MAP port/mail-slot port is also the 24th slot.

So, because the tape library vendor has tried to be efficient and clever with their design - this can leave us scratching our heads - until we read the product manual - which tells us what is going on.

HTH.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Use robtest to see what the library sees. In robtest, run these commands : mode s p s s Show us output, please.

Pavan_Sudheer
Level 3

Thank for support as of now the issue was resolved

And the same issue i have facing after some times....

1. I can able to move medias by "tldtest" command  ( NBU Version: NetBackup-Solaris10 7.5.0.6 )

2. I have checked and Library is having free solts (TS3500 series IBM Tape Library)

Pavan

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Why do you need tldtest to move media around?

This will move media without NBU knowing this and can cause inventory to fail.