cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unarchive tar tapes

Benoit_Seg
Level 3

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to unarchive old tar tapes with Netbackup 6.5? I know tat98 can do it but I don't want to buy it since I have a Netbackup Enterprise server 6.5 setup.

Thanks.

Benoit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6

Why can't you use tar? If you are trying to import the tape, then it whould have to have a NetBackup header on it. Otherwise just untar it to some directory, then back that directory up. I you are running windows you can use tar32.exe, which is GNU tar with some extra switches.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
What do you mean by "unarchive"?

Benoit_Seg
Level 3

I mean untar the files to a local disk. The tape was done by an external company. Probably from a Unix system using tar. I get those kind of tapes often from different suppliers and need to untar the data for local use. I want to be able to use my Netbackup installation if possible.

Benoit

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6

Why can't you use tar? If you are trying to import the tape, then it whould have to have a NetBackup header on it. Otherwise just untar it to some directory, then back that directory up. I you are running windows you can use tar32.exe, which is GNU tar with some extra switches.

Benoit_Seg
Level 3

Thank you Patrick, I will try that. I was hoping I could use Netbackup but if I can't, will try tar32 and find my way in the switches.

Have a good day.

Benoit