cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uncheck Enable message-level cataloging when duplicating Exchange images that use Granular Recovery Technology.

jasw61
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello

I would like to find out if disabling the option for message-level cataloging when duplicating Exchange images that use Granular Recovery Technology applies to duplications that are part of an SLP policy?

Regards,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can only do mailbox restores from disk.

The reason for this is that the disk image on the media server needs to be shared via NFS so that Exch client can access individual items. It is not possible to do this with tape.

Similar post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restoring-duplicated-tape-individual-exchange-2010-ma...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne

The option applies to any kind of duplication.

jasw61
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks, Marianne.

jasw61
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Another question that I am seeing in regards to disabling the message-level cataloging, is will restores of databases and mailboxes be available from the duplicated image on tape?  I would think that restores of these items would work, just as before GRT existed, right?

Thanks.

James

Marianne

You can only do mailbox restores from disk.

The reason for this is that the disk image on the media server needs to be shared via NFS so that Exch client can access individual items. It is not possible to do this with tape.

Similar post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restoring-duplicated-tape-individual-exchange-2010-ma...

jasw61
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Understood.  But lets take GRT and disk completely out of the picture.  At what level can we restore from the duplicated image, directly from tape?  In other words, GRT to tape for the duplication is disabled = no browsing of the image on tape, so at what level can we restore from tape?

Thanks.

James

Marianne

You can restore Information Stores.

It is possible to restore Information Store to a Recovery Storage Group without overwriting the IS.