Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unified logging settings cannot be changed

asru1927
Level 3

Hi,

We have the following set-up

Master Server - Windows 2008R2 Enterprise NetBackup 7.5.0.6 

Mixture of Linux and Windows media servers which run NetBackup 7.1.0.3 up to 7.5.0.6

I have an issue at the moment where none of the config changes which get made to the Unified logs seem to overwrite the exisitng settings.  The command prompt opened on the master server is being opened with "Run as Administrator" and my account has local\domain admin privilidges.

Below is the current settings of current EMM setting:

C:\Windows\system32>vxlogcfg -l -p NB -o 111
Configuration settings for originator 111, of product 51,216...
LogDirectory = E:\Veritas\logs\nbemm\
DebugLevel = 1
DiagnosticLevel = 6
DynaReloadInSec = 0
LogToStdout = False
LogToStderr = False
LogToOslog = False
RolloverMode = FileSize | LocalTime
LogRecycle = False
MaxLogFileSizeKB = 51200
RolloverPeriodInSeconds = 43200
RolloverAtLocalTime = 0:00
NumberOfLogFiles = 3
OIDNames = nbemm
AppMsgLogging = ON
L10nLib = E:\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\vxextwincat
L10nResource = nbemm
L10nResourceDir = E:\Veritas\NetBackup\resources
NtEventLogSourceName = nbemm
NtEventLogCategory = 0
LogFileSDDL = (null)

below is me increasing the verbosity - however as you can see the change havent taken affect.  

C:\Windows\system32>vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

C:\Windows\system32>vxlogcfg -l -p NB -o 111
Configuration settings for originator 111, of product 51,216...
LogDirectory = E:\Veritas\logs\nbemm\
DebugLevel = 1
DiagnosticLevel = 6
DynaReloadInSec = 0
LogToStdout = False
LogToStderr = False
LogToOslog = False
RolloverMode = FileSize | LocalTime
LogRecycle = False
MaxLogFileSizeKB = 51200
RolloverPeriodInSeconds = 43200
RolloverAtLocalTime = 0:00
NumberOfLogFiles = 3
OIDNames = nbemm
AppMsgLogging = ON
L10nLib = E:\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\vxextwincat
L10nResource = nbemm
L10nResourceDir = E:\Veritas\NetBackup\resources
NtEventLogSourceName = nbemm
NtEventLogCategory = 0
LogFileSDDL = (null)

Has anyone experienced this before?

NetBackup on the master server has been restarted in case a process was pinning the config file and not allowing changes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The command is correct.

I suspect something nasty has happened to the nblog.conf file.  I suggest coping this file off another server at the same version, you will need to stop NBU services whilst you do this.

If that ison't possible, restore the file from a week back (or sometime when it was known to be good) to an alternate location, then stop services, and coipy into place (/usr/openv/netbackup dir),

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The command is correct.

I suspect something nasty has happened to the nblog.conf file.  I suggest coping this file off another server at the same version, you will need to stop NBU services whilst you do this.

If that ison't possible, restore the file from a week back (or sometime when it was known to be good) to an alternate location, then stop services, and coipy into place (/usr/openv/netbackup dir),

watsons
Level 6

Yes, definitely something wrong with your \netbackup\nblog.conf

The command you run to change log level should return something like this, otherwise it's a problem:

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>vxlogcfg -a -p NB -o 111 -s DebugLevel=6
The configuration settings were added successfully.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Have had that issue too, unfortunately we didn't find a solution. In general there seems to be a problem between Netbackup/OpsCenter 7.5.0.6 and UAC/DEP on Windows.

We ended up manually changing the nb.conf file with notepad open with run as administrator, not supported/recommended, but the only way we could the change we needed. Cannot remember if you have to restart Netbackup to get the changes applied.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

asru1927
Level 3

Martin was right...

nblog.conf had some sort of corruption.  I took down the environment, copied the file from one of our other servers and everything worked OK afterwards.

Thanks