cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unix BMR - Trying to update SRT w/ Kernel file

JamieDaniell
Level 3

Hi all,

I'm currently testing BMR for unix servers (knowledge of non windows systems is pretty much non existent!) - i've created an SRT on the unix boot server and tried a recovery but got the error message attached.

I've then tried to update the SRT with the required kernel but i only have it in a .rpm format which the SRT doesnt seem to accept, it wants a .img, .o or .ko. I'm now stuck so any help is much appreciated...

Thank you

Jamie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SantoshVarma
Level 3

Hi Jamie,

I saw the screenshot.

The message in first line is just a [Info] and can be safely ignored. Please take a look: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000085888

The actual issue to be fixed is : you need to create a CD ISO image based SRT and with that you need to run the prepare to restore, The error in that screenshot is [Error] line Could not contact Bare Metal boot server daemon (bmrbd)

So all all you need to do is : You have a xyz named Network Based SRT, so run the bmrsrtadm and choose  2.  Create a new CD image based Shared Resource Tree. And once the CD ISO based SRT image is created you need to use that to run prepare to restore for the BMR client.

You cannot add a .rpm in the SRT. To do this you need to install the same rpm in the boot server or any other Linux server and collect the .img / .ko / .o files from that rpm after installing it and provide that files to update the SRT. But in this case if you are updating the SRT for this issue purpose, it do not really matter/ required. So don't do the SRT update as it not needed now.

Hope the above helps.

-Santosh

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JamieDaniell
Level 3

Anyone??

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Jaime_Vazquez was the VOX resident expert on BMR, but he hasn't logged on since summer last year :(

Your best best is probably to open a proper Veritas Support case.

SantoshVarma
Level 3

Hi Jamie,

I saw the screenshot.

The message in first line is just a [Info] and can be safely ignored. Please take a look: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000085888

The actual issue to be fixed is : you need to create a CD ISO image based SRT and with that you need to run the prepare to restore, The error in that screenshot is [Error] line Could not contact Bare Metal boot server daemon (bmrbd)

So all all you need to do is : You have a xyz named Network Based SRT, so run the bmrsrtadm and choose  2.  Create a new CD image based Shared Resource Tree. And once the CD ISO based SRT image is created you need to use that to run prepare to restore for the BMR client.

You cannot add a .rpm in the SRT. To do this you need to install the same rpm in the boot server or any other Linux server and collect the .img / .ko / .o files from that rpm after installing it and provide that files to update the SRT. But in this case if you are updating the SRT for this issue purpose, it do not really matter/ required. So don't do the SRT update as it not needed now.

Hope the above helps.

-Santosh