cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unix Global File Type Exclusion

Jonathan_Martin
Level 4
I'm trying to exclude a certain file suffix from all backups on a particular Linux server. For example:

Selection List: ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
Exclude: *.mp3

In windows, my exclusion list looks like *.mp3 but not so in Linux. I've tried:

*.mp3
/*.mp3
\*.mp3
.mp3

And none worked. The only thing I can get to work is

/*.mp3
/*/*.mp3
/*/*/*.mp3
/*/*/*/*.mp3
/*/*/*/*/*.mp3
/*/*/*/*/*/*.mp3
/*/*/*/*/*/*/*.mp3
/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*.mp3
/*/*/*/*/*/*/* /*/*.mp3
/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*.mp3
/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*.mp3
/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*.mp3

Which is a bit cumbersome but I guess I can make it work. Any better ideas?

-Jonathan
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6
unfortunately, I think your going to have to do the cumbersome route, unless things have changed.

removing the use of "*.dbf " was introduced in 5.0 MP1 without any documantation. Since then VERITAS came out with a technote

After installing 5.0 Maintenance Pack 1, Exclude Lists will no longer work when relative paths with imbedded directory delimiters are specified.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/267716

This upset a lot of people as backups started to miss windows and tapes started to get full sooner than expected.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

zippy
Level 6
Jonathan,

Haha Deleteing the mp3's off of your server would be safer, unless you own all of them of course! :)

On the linux server put a file called exclude_list.$POLICY_NAME (case sesitive) into the /usr/openv/netbackup directory and stick somthing like this.

/mount_name/*
/mount_name/*.mp3

It works for me I have tested it

JD

Jonathan_Martin
Level 4
I'm not actually trying to exclude .mp3 files, thats just an example. And if I knew where all the files where I could easily use: /mount/*.file_type My query however is for GLOBAL file type exclusions. *.file_type no matter where they are in the file structure. With windows exclusions I can use *.file_type in a policy and it will skip those files no matter where they are on the system. APparently Linux works differently. So far the onyl thing that I have found that works is the /*/* (etc) /*/*.file_type.

-Jonathan

zippy
Level 6
I just tried it on a LINUx and HPUX server it it works fine, are you sure you have the files naming convention correct.?

JD

Jonathan_Martin
Level 4
Quite sure.

I created a test policy, TEST. Created the exclude file in the /usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list.TEST. Created /testbackup. Copied some data into /testbackup including .vcd files which I'd like to not backup. Ran the test policy, verified files were being backed up which I wanted to exclude.

Just to make sure my policy and configs are correct I also ran the backup with the /*/*.vcd /*/*/*.vcd etc and that worked. Everything else I've tried has not. What client version are you running? I haven't tested this yet on 6.0 - this is 5.1 MP4.

-Jonathan