cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unix file system backups with Netbackup

bigdog_40
Level 3

Hello Backup Gurus:

We currently use Netbackup 7.1.0.4 with an AIX master and several AIX and Windows media servers.

On our Unix file system backups, we have ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES selected.  This creates several hundred individual jobs for some of our clients.

I wanted to reach out to this community to see how others are performing their Unix file system backups.  We are concerned that if we manually enter /opt, /etc, and so forth, that our Unix or application teams may forget to notify us of additional file systems that need to be added.  This would create a management nightmare to attempt to protect our data.

Any suggestions or simply sharing what you are currently doing would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are there 348 different filesystems on the client? One client in policy or multiple clients?

Sure that ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is in Backup Selection? Or maybe a path with wildcard?

Total amount of jobs that get generated depends on policy config and actual filesystems on client. We can give best advice if we can see what you see. Please post policy config:
bppllist <policy-name> -U 
as well as 'bpmount' output on client.

Limit jobs per policy or per client will merely limit amount of concurrent active jobs.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

it looks like you have selected mutilstreaming option enabled in policy attributes..?

if you feel that these jobs are  increasing the job Queue and not having enough resoureces.. just disable the muti-streaming.. 

and only enable it for long running clients , if you feel that you have enough resources to handle the number of jobs.

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is recommented backup selection.. but also make sure you have proper exclude list in place. to avoide un-necessory files form backup.

this is all about the tuening of your Master server.

Marianne
Level 6

"several hundred individual jobs for some of our clients"??

Do these clients have several hundred filesystems each? Honestly never seen this in my life...
I have seen several hundred streams/jobs when wildcards were used in Backup Selection with multistreaming enabled (e.g. /filesys/*).

My 2c:

Leave multistreaming enabled, just limit amount of jobs per policy (default is unlimited).

Another option is to limit Max Jobs per Client. This is a global setting in Master server's Global Properties.

Will_Restore
Level 6

I'm guessing 'client' in this case is 'customer' and not 'machine'.   I could see where, with multistreaming enabled, dozens of hosts would produce hundreds of jobs.

bigdog_40
Level 3

Thank you all for your comments.

It is actually a client, but it does /opt, /opt/oracle, /opt/admin, /opt/emc, /opt/java, /opt/Tivoli, /opt/corefiles, etc. all as individual backup jobs.

The backups are completing relatively fast, but I think the number of jobs is impacting overall backup performance and may be leading to some issues that we are having with replication.

Marianne
Level 6

Does 'df -h' on the client list all of them as separate filesystems?

If so, you have 3 choices:

1) Micro-manage by manually specifying filesystems and grouping them in required amount of streams, e.g:

NEW_STREAM:
/
/var
/opt
/usr
NEW_STREAM
/opt/oracle
/opt/admin

NEW_STREAM
/opt/emc
/opt/java

NEW_STREAM
/opt/Tivoli
/opt/corefiles
etc

2) Allow multistreaming and limit amount of concurrent jobs as per my previous post.

3) Disable multistreaming as per Nagalla's suggestion.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Interesting.  I have not seen this behaviour with ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive. 

On the client, try running  bpmount  and observe how many filesystems are listed

bigdog_40
Level 3

Marianne,

Unfortunately, it does show all of them as individual file systems. 

The odd thing is that we have 'limit jobs per policy' set, but as soon as the child jobs finish - new jobs start.  This continues until there are literally 300-400 (often more) individual jobs per server.  If I lower the number of jobs per policy significantly, will it run fewer total jobs or with it simply do fewer at a time and extend my backup window?

bigdog_40
Level 3

To test, I limited the number of jobs per policy to 20, and submitted a full backup.

The parent kicked off, and immediately generated 348 different jobs (1 for each data stream).  Only 20 are active at a time, while the others remain queued.  However, there are still 349 total jobs.

Maybe the maximum jobs per client would work better for me?

Any suggestions?

Marianne
Level 6

Are there 348 different filesystems on the client? One client in policy or multiple clients?

Sure that ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is in Backup Selection? Or maybe a path with wildcard?

Total amount of jobs that get generated depends on policy config and actual filesystems on client. We can give best advice if we can see what you see. Please post policy config:
bppllist <policy-name> -U 
as well as 'bpmount' output on client.

Limit jobs per policy or per client will merely limit amount of concurrent active jobs.

watsons
Level 6

Let's also presume that you did not check "Follow NFS" and/or "Cross mount points"... otherwise many external filesystems may get included..

Stumpr2
Level 6

OK, I am skeptical. There should be a line for every mount in /etc/mtab. please show results for:

wc -l /etc/mtab

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

How many client computers are in your policy?