Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown Robot Number

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

My environment is as follow:

Master Server: 2003, NBU7

Media Servers: All Runing 2003, 1 Running NBU7, the other 2 running 6.5.2.

The master server was recently upgraded to nbu7 and this error seems to coincide with the upgrade. I'm getting an error in the event viewer that states the following:

NetBackup TLD Control Daemon 13853 - " Unknown robot number 1, from host

The 2 robot numbers I get are hosted on 2 of the media servers and that's seen on the Admin console.

I've searched everywhere and can't find anything about this.

smwoodcrafts

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I am not saying rebuild the master.

just remove the robot and drives from netbackup and add them back in.

I had issues after my upgrade.  Once I removed and readded the robot and drives it worked fine.  I did not do anything to the master server or to netbackup except that little remove and readd.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Can you ellaborate. How many robots do you have in total, which media server controls which robot, how many drives per robot.

It might be a good idea to eject all your tapes (move to stand alone) and recreate your device configuration if you've not done it after the upgrade. If the environment is not too complex.....

R

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

We have 3 in this environment. TLD0, a VTL with 24 drives, is hosted on the master server. TLD1, a VTL with 10 drives, is hosted on the media server that was also upgraded to NBU7. TLD2, a physical tape library with 4 drives, is hosted on another media server with 6.5.2.

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

We started getting this recently too.  Did you ever figure out a solution?

Every day, at about the exact same time.

Nov 17 14:25:39 master tldcd[17728]: [ID 349959 daemon.error] Unknown robot number 1, from host master

Nov 17 14:25:39 master tldcd[17728]: [ID 349959 daemon.error] Unknown robot number 1, from host master

Nov 18 14:25:49 master tldcd[17728]: [ID 349959 daemon.error] Unknown robot number 1, from host master

Nov 18 14:25:49 master tldcd[17728]: [ID 349959 daemon.error] Unknown robot number 1, from host master

[root@master ~]# tpconfig -l | grep robot
robot      0    -    TLD    -       -  -          -                           /dev/sg/c0t0l0 

So there's 1 robot on this host - robot 0 - yet something is complaining robot 1.  There IS a robot 1 but it's on a media server, not on the master.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I have done two master server upgrades to 7.0.1 and both had robots.

The best thing was to remove the drives and robots from nb and rebuild them.

Now, in my case it was aix master that was using ovpass (which 7.0.1 no longer needs)

But as you mentioned that you did the upgrade.  I would really remove the drives and robot and re-add them to make sure they are in there correctly.

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

Thanks Judy - we're planning on rebuilding the master shortly anyway.  We'll be migrating from our 2-cpu Sun V490 running Solaris 10 a 4 socket (6 cores per socket) DL580 running RHEL5.  Been looking forward to that for a long time!

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I am not saying rebuild the master.

just remove the robot and drives from netbackup and add them back in.

I had issues after my upgrade.  Once I removed and readded the robot and drives it worked fine.  I did not do anything to the master server or to netbackup except that little remove and readd.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you tried to follow JH's advice yet?

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

Sorry, didn't update. I will try and update any posts I have open. I talked to the engineer about this solution and he is hesitant to do it. Not sure why. I administer the backup environment and do minor fixes, but he is in control. I can't do things like this without his approval. Not sure how to proceed with this one. I have printed it out for future reference, but as of right now, can't do anything about it. Ca this thread be closed or removed?

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

We had issues with drive availability on one of our media servers earlier this week and ended up doing a full device reconfiguration.   Sure enough, the same night, we got the "Unknown robot number" message.