cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown job stuck in activity monitor

snawaz3
Level 6

Please see attached screen shot. Can any one explain what this job was and how to delete it. I have right clicked on the job and cancel job. The rest options are grayed out. But nothing happens.Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

All services  ( this will kill any currnet backups )

netbackup\bin\bpdown -v -f

confrim everything is stopped by running : bpps

Follow the action plan

then start everything back up

netbackup\bin\bpup -v -f

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Will_Restore
Level 6

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-remove-unknown-error#comment-6505811

To clear jobs as you've described from the activity monitor you will need to do the following from the master server:
Record all of the job IDs that won't cancel
Stop NetBackup
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpjobd -r <jobid>

As a note, from NetBackup 7.5 onwards, you do not need to stop the NetBackup services to delete any jobs with bpjobd -r 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

All depends on what version of NetBackup you are running - you signature says 7.1 and earlier so assuming that is the case this is what to do:

First off these are usually caused by a process crash some where - always worth investigating what errors on your system you had at around that time - it may also have been a server reboot just as a job was kicking in - plenty of possible reasons...

To get rid of it make a note of the job id (227858)

Make sure nothing is running, incomplete or suspended - so this rogue job is the onlything active.

On the Master Server shutdown NetBackup and make sure all processes have ended (not while any jobs are running or you may get more of these errors!)

Next, on the Master go to <install path>\netbackup\db\jobs\ and delete the bpjobd.act.db (do not delete the bpjobd.db!!!)

Then look under the ffilelogs folder for the file with that job id and delete it

Then look under the trylogs folder and do the same

Then start up NetBackup again

That should have got rid of your orphaned job

Now do some digging to see if you can identify what you had a crash / reboot/ restart at that time ( as no time is shown use the jobs either side to get an estimate)

Hope this helps

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Just in case you on 7.5 there was an issue and an eeb created :

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/fix-issue-acitvity-monitor-after-upgrading-7505-has-been-released

snawaz3
Level 6

which  NetBackup service do i need to stop? there are a bunch of them. Do I stop all services?

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

All services  ( this will kill any currnet backups )

netbackup\bin\bpdown -v -f

confrim everything is stopped by running : bpps

Follow the action plan

then start everything back up

netbackup\bin\bpup -v -f

Hi, I'm not allowed to view the content of the following link:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-remove-unknown-error#comment-6505811

Can you help me, please?

Thank you!

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Replace www-secure.symantec.com with
www.veritas.com

If you need further assistance, please start a new discussion.