cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update VM Server list from command line in Netbackup 7.0

jaristizabal
Level 3
 Hi,

I am trying to automate the backup process by creating the backup policy for VMware VMs from command line. So far, I have been able to create the policy and all its properties, but when I run it I get the following error: "snapshot error encountered(156)", then  I checked the Clients for this policy from the Admin console, and found that the VM I am trying to backup is not on the list when I browse for Virtual Machines.  If I click on the Update icon the server VM list gets updated after a while and I can  see the VM I want to backup, and my backup job runs fine this time.

My problem is that I need to automate the process for VM clones that are created on demand, and I cannot afford to access the Admin console every time and refresh the list. Is it possible to refresh the VM list from command line utilities?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Juan Aristizabal. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
Just deleting vcbnames file from "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl" directory, allows netbackup to re create the vcbname file with updated informations.

So just schedule a Job in your server that will delete the files under that directory whenever no backup is active.( This file is accessed by Veritas when backup is active)

I just checked it my NetBackup Test Environment. It works good. Here the logs i got from C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\logs\bpVMutil.

<2> get_VM_names: get_id_lock returned 0
11:57:59.509 [1868.3344]  read cache file = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl\vcbnames_**.***.***.***_Any
11:57:59.525 [1868.3344] cache file C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl\vcbnames_**.***.***.***_Any does not exist
11:57:59.525 [1868.3344] getHostView: Getting VM's for 10.237.204.134

Try it and let us know !

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
Just deleting vcbnames file from "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl" directory, allows netbackup to re create the vcbname file with updated informations.

So just schedule a Job in your server that will delete the files under that directory whenever no backup is active.( This file is accessed by Veritas when backup is active)

I just checked it my NetBackup Test Environment. It works good. Here the logs i got from C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\logs\bpVMutil.

<2> get_VM_names: get_id_lock returned 0
11:57:59.509 [1868.3344]  read cache file = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl\vcbnames_**.***.***.***_Any
11:57:59.525 [1868.3344] cache file C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl\vcbnames_**.***.***.***_Any does not exist
11:57:59.525 [1868.3344] getHostView: Getting VM's for 10.237.204.134

Try it and let us know !

jaristizabal
Level 3
 Thank you so much, it worked like a charm.

I just have one more question, what is the difference between the vcbnames and the esx*****.xml files?. I noticed that vcbnames has a few fields about each VM, while the xml file has all the VM data including the virtual disks info. In my environment I am using vSphere without vcb.

Thanks again.

Juan Aristizabal.

jaristizabal
Level 3