cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update bp.conf from masters server

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

We are doing a migration about 100+ clients daily. these all are Linux client. this migration to new DC so new master and media server but clien name is same.

so in that case we have to update bp.conf manually in all clients (remove old master/media server name and add new master/media). is there any command/script by this we can update client bp.conf from master server without doing login on client.

Master server is Windows 2008 and NB version is 7.5.0.6.

Client- Linux Redhat 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Easiest will be using the GUI.

Select about 10 clients at a time under Host Properties -> Clients.
All will be updated simultaneously.

Each selection needs to connect to the client, so, the more clients you select, the longer it will take to connect to all of them.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne

Easiest will be using the GUI.

Select about 10 clients at a time under Host Properties -> Clients.
All will be updated simultaneously.

Each selection needs to connect to the client, so, the more clients you select, the longer it will take to connect to all of them.

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

Seems u didnt understand my question, if client bp.conf having old master server entry then hostproperties-client and properties would be in error. i tried but i cant connect to clients because we need to update bp.conf first. 

i want to update master and media both entries at client bp.conf.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Are you implying that the Master server the clients are moving FROM is not available any more?

Marianne

I have done this many times where a new master server was introduced.

You need to add SERVER entry for new master and/or media servers BEFORE switching off old master.
Do this from the old server.
Do no update Master entry as yet.

Once new master and/or media servers are in place and connectivity has been tested, use Host Properties again to select clients, select new Master and 'Make Master' in the GUI.
You can then remove old server entries.

If you have already switched off the old master, you will have to logon to each client.

jgordo02
Level 2

I agree with Marianne,

Here are the steps I use when moving client servers to a New Master/Media server.

1. Verify the client can communicate with the new Master/Media and the New Master/Media can communicate with the client. Prior to making any changes correct any issues like adding routing. This is a necessary step for a successful migration.

2. Add the client to a schedule on the New Master.

3. In the Netbackup GUI on the old master open Host Properties-Clients-highlight 10 or so clients, right click and select properties. This can take a little bit. Select Servers from the right pane add the new Master and any Media servers you will be using. Select the new Master hostname and select Make Master.

4. Test backup of migrated client on New Master. If this is successful you can remove it from the old Master.

Marianne

It seems that you have already setup the new master without adding SERVER entries from old master.

There is nothing that can be done from NBU.
The cmd version of Host Properties update is bpsetconfig, BUT you can only do it from a machine that has a current SERVER entry in Client's bp.conf.

So, if you have a media server that has a SERVER entry in the clients, you can use bpsetconfig on the media server.

Important that you add master and ALL media servers in this command, as the command will replace existing SERVER entries.

Example from NetBackup Commands Reference Guide    (yellow is the Master and orange is Media server) :

bpsetconfig -h orange.colors.org
SERVER = yellow.colors.org
SERVER = orange.colors.org
<ctl-D>
<ctl-Z> 

Genericus
   VIP   

use shell script and echo new server line to bp.conf then cat the remainder of the bp.conf

think out side the box, you can do this from the OS level.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I thought controlling master server name has to be the first 'server = name' entry in bp.conf - and so appending an echo might not work in most cases.

The way I've always done it is to use bpsetconfig from the old master to push the new list of servers to a client.  This stops accidental backups from the old master/domain, and can be scripted - using a list of clients as a feed in to a for loop - therefore no need to logon to hundreds of clients - nor bring up client properties for hundreds of clients.

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

i seaeched documents but not able to found anything from Netbackup end which could be useful in my enviornment. as we alredy have setup new master server and we doing migration of approx 100 server weekly. i able to make a linux shell script which would update host file and bp.conf at OS level.