cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update of NetBackup-RedHat2.6 6.5 to 7.1 fails

HwellSA
Level 2

I have been manually updating my client servers from NetBackup 6.5 to 7.1. They have all been Dell R710, all running at least RHEL 5.7, all X86_64.  I have one R710 server running RHEL 5.5, X86_64.. When I run the install, I get the "Platform Client Menu".  This isn't how the other installations have behaved.  I checked the compatibility list, and I don't see anything about 5.5 being a problem.  Is there something else I can check?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The easiest way is to just blow away everything (remove /usr/openv - or rename it if deleting it makes you skittish) and perform a fresh client installation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CRZ
Level 6

The script may be acting as if you're on a server instead of a client.  Could server software have been installed on that machine by mistake way back when?  See if bptm or bpdm binaries are on that client (they'd be in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin, I think) - actually, just see if there's a /usr/openv/netbackup/version file (not to be confused with the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version file you'll find on all clients, including servers).

HwellSA
Level 2

Chris, you are so right.  It looks like someone must have tried to install server software at some point.

# cat /usr/openv/netbackup/version
HARDWARE LINUX_RH_X86
VERSION NetBackup 6.5
RELEASEDATE Mon Jul 23 16:30:00 CDT 2007
BUILDNUMBER 20070723

# locate bptm
/opt/openv/netbackup/bin/bptm
/opt/openv/netbackup/logs/bptm
# locate bpdm
/opt/openv/netbackup/bin/bpdm
/opt/openv/netbackup/logs/bpdm

So, what do I do to resolve this?

Thanks. 

-Don

CRZ
Level 6

The easiest way is to just blow away everything (remove /usr/openv - or rename it if deleting it makes you skittish) and perform a fresh client installation.

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Chapter 6 : http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3647  Just to make sure you do not miss anything so you get a clean install.

HwellSA
Level 2

Thanks, Chris.  I was hoping I could just remove a file here and there, but renaming /usr/openv won't be a big deal.  I just need to ensure my DBAs are not running an rman backup.

Thanks, again.

Don